AKC (and other agility organizations) are allowing training in the ring options! Join Diane Goodspeed to learn how to maximize your time in the ring with training, fix and go, utilize FEO options and more! Diane will focus her lessons and skills drills on AKC options but you can easily apply this to ALL organizations.
As of January 2020, the AKC is starting a one year pilot of Fix and Go On. It is available at every trial, at every level, and in every class. While this is very exciting, it is also a bit scary since there are – of course – a few rules. In order to use this tool effectively to reinforce performance criteria, Diane has been doing workshops with her students and is now offering this two-week techniques class to share that information. The class will cover all the new rules, suggestions for using on start lines, weaves, contacts and in handling sequences. She will also provide multiple, easy skill drills that will ensure you are clearly communicating the correction or approval of your dog’s behavior.
The new AKC “Fix and Go On” option allows exhibitors to immediately reattempt an obstacle at any time on course when the dog’s performance on an obstacle is not to their expectation. This allows the dog to successfully complete the obstacle and finish the course or leave the ring on a positive note. This new training tool is available as of January 2020. There is also an FEO option available in AKC, which is only available when trials allow it. Diane will explain the difference and will go over the rules and guidelines for “Fix and Go On”. In this short two-week class, Diane will go in-depth on what is allowed, how to use it effectively, and when it is useful. She will also provide multiple, simple drills that can be done in a small space or during a class to build in the tools you will need to get your “fix” in quickly and effectively. Clock management will be critical when using “Fix and Go On”. Get ready to use this new powerful training tool to clean up performance issues that only appear at trials or to launch your young dog with the best foundation possible!
Additional Course Details
- Diane Goodspeed
- Course starts on Sunday, January 19, 2020.
- Registration closes on Sunday, February 2, 2020.
- Course material access never expires.
- Dogs must be 10-months or older
- Course Structure:
- This 2-week short course will explain where, when and how to use the new “fix and go on” tool on AKC courses. Whether you are a new handler, have a young dog just starting to trial, or are a master handler who has a trial-sensitive training issue, this information will let you use this new tool at every trial. Diane will begin with an explanation of the rules and will provide suggestions on how and where to use. She will go in depth on examples for start lines, weaves, contacts and will provide some examples for handling issues. There will be discussions/information on all aspects and also drills for training your dog to build a few critical skills that will allow you to use your “fix” quickly and effectively. Drills can be done in a small space or in class and on your schedule. You will come out of this course with a solid understanding of what “Fix and Go On” is and what is allowed (or not) and how to use it. All students will be working so everyone can discuss, ask questions and submit video of drills if they have an issue or want more help.
- Equipment needed (working participants only):
- No specific requirements – a variety of equipment options/sequences can be used
- Space required (working participants only):
- 30’ x 30’ or equivalent.
- Enrollment in this course closed on 01/16/2020.