Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 309 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #94650
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,
    Finally getting some really nice weather. I was in Salisbury, MD for 3 days. Took Brioche to the practice jump every day and worked on various lead outs for as much as the small space allows. He is getting the forced FC down and the serp as well as the regular stays.

    Last night I watched some of the independent study teeter games. You are using the word “target” for many of the games. I have not been using any verbals except for saying “see saw” before I send him for the mountain climber game (with the tip-it). For the bang game, I either just tell him to hop up or restrain him and then he hops up when I let go. Is “target” your word for see saw in competition? I’m trying to figure out how this transitions into the end game of a trained see saw. I know some people who say “teeter” then “bang” as their trained verbal. Do I need to put a verbal on the games when they are driving to the end of the board to get the reward?

    Can I start the downhill game while still training the mountain climber? I wouldn’t do it in the same session. Just wondering because I’ve been working with the tip-it since May 1. Feel like it’s going so slow but then I am only increasing tip in very small increments.

    Also, Jeri lost the shortest uprights for the tip-it. I have the long and medium ones. If I need to have the short ones for eventual use, can you tell me how long they are on your tip-it? I can get some PVC and make them myself (or should I say my husband will -LOL).

    I’m going to look at week 8 and start chipping away at those today. Let me know if there are any that should be my priority.

    Also, I am trialing at Level Up June 19-21, staying over on Sunday night and then driving up to Bella Vista in PA on Monday for a Tuesday trial.

    Thanks.
    Sandy

    in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #94560
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,
    So Jess had a yellow target made by clip n go that she strapped to the end of the teeter. Instead of having him hop into the end of the board like I had been doing with food on the piece of duct tape, she had him wrap a cone, to get on and then move down to the end to put his feet on the target. No food was involved and he didn’t know what to do because it wasn’t the easy I had been doing it. So it was very slow welding for him to put his feet on the target.
    So should I be using something besides duct tape with a bit of elevation to it? He’s quick and happy to hop on the board and eat the food that I put on the duct tape.

    Trying to type on my phone but I can view the whole box that I’m typing into so I hope it makes sense.

    Thanks.
    Sandy

    in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #94533
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,
    Yes I know Jackie from years ago. Haven’t seen her in a long time. I live in Lincoln Park in north Jersey. Not sure where she lives.

    For the bang game he was doing well with the food. Then Jessica wanted to put a front foot target instead of food at our last lesson. Brioche then became much more thoughtful and not really driving to the target because I have not practiced bang game that way. I humored her but at home I was just using food. He does it well at home.

    Sandy

    in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #94526
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,

    Going back to the lead out sequence with the RC. There was a turn from jump 2 to 3 and then the RC was on the next jump. I have always tried to square Benni up to any jump I want to RC this is on a bend. Sounds like this is not correct? I think that is what I was trying to do with Brioche.

    As for the forced FC/threadle at a practice jump. Won’t it be hard with a wingless jump in a small space? Since there won’t be a wing for me to stand behind… I don’t want to make it confusing for Brioche. Or maybe just the practice of the stay with the picture of me low with my hand out might be beneficial…

    And the teeter. I have done the mountain climber twice at UDOG on 3 or 4 different see saws with no tip. We just used a wing to prop the see saw up. At home, do I continue to make it tip past the midway point in the same manner because then it becomes uphill and downhill? I haven’t looked at week 8 yet since I’m getting ready to travel so maybe the next game is there. Still can’t find a clip n go. I might have to drive 90 min to take a private with someone up in Saugerties, NY. They have one there but she isn’t allowing ring rentals anymore.

    Jumps have been at 8 inches for Brioche. Let me know if I should put them up to 10″ or just keep it at 8″ for a week or two more.

    I think that’s my questions for now. Thanks.
    Sandy

    in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #94516
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,
    I didn’t set up the Forced FC/Threadly sequences. Just worked on the skill. The hardest part was the start line stay so we will need to work on that more. But I wanted to at least present the skill to him before week 8 begins. I am traveling to PA tomorrow and will then be down in MD until Sunday.

    Thanks. Sandy

    in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #94513
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,
    Here is what we did in our first novice class today. He did better than the older dogs! He had never seen a tire before so I introduced it prior to the sequence. He didn’t have a problem with it. The first time we did the full sequence it was flawless. Second time he went around the tire. I was pleasantly surprised with everything including that pretty distant lateral lead out! How amazing is that!

    Now if he gets the weaves down, he could actually run a novice course when we’re ready for it and build up to his jump height over the summer.

    Sandy

    in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #94481
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,
    Finally, it dried out enough to head out for training. We were in Harrisonburg, VA all weekend. Nice facility.

    Zig Zag grid. I switched to the poles from my channel weaves as the bars. He did well until the last rep when I opened up the angle a bit more and he added a stride.

    Finished up the lead out games. Started out running off with the toy. Maybe being crated a lot over the weekend and a 5 hour drive home…burning off pent up energy. Forgot that I hadn’t done part 2 so we did part 3 first. Is is just a baby dog thing or am I not doing something right for him to keep dodging the last jump? Maybe he just doesn’t have a full understanding of “go” yet. IDK…

    Part 2 – I’m not sure what to think about his RC wrap. Maybe he is still figuring it out but he actually did it and now I am thanking you for convincing me to have a left vs right wrap verbal for this very reason…Benni does not have this skill trained specifically!

    I have not done the wingin’ it games for threadle wrap yet from last week. And still have to do the forced FC. Hope I can get everything done by the end of the session. I am traveling far more than I normally would trying to regain my #5 spot for the invitationals. I do not understand why all 3 sizes of poodles need to be grouped together for the top 5. Doesn’t seem fair compared to other breeds who have multiple sizes. Sigh.

    Thanks. I think we are making progress on the course work. Should be putting 6 poles together soon. Doing 4 + 2 now. See Saw almost to the half way tipping point. DW contact work is not his favorite.
    We start our novice class with Linda Rose tomorrow. Yay! She is incorporating jumps and tunnels for the dogs who don’t have everything trained yet.
    Sandy

    in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #94335
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    PS jump bars were at 8″ Is that okay for him now?

    Sandy

    in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #94322
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,
    Did part one of the lead outs. Very hot and going to rain later and then I will be at a trial Fri-Sun. So here is what we did:

    At this moment my weather app is predicting rain all the way thru Tuesday. Hopefully that changes.

    Thanks.
    Sandy

    in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #94120
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,

    I put the 2 x 2s in the yard and Brioche’s performance fell apart. I finally got him to do 4 poles but not very confidently. So we’ll keep working on that.

    SMH on these tunnel threadle games. By the end, I think he got it. I know it has to do with my mechanics. It was in the evening but still quite hot so we took several breaks even though it’s one video. Maybe we can complete the other stuff in the morning before it gets too hot. My verbal is “by” as in bypass the obvious end of the tunnel.

    Thanks.
    Sandy

    in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #94092
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,
    Well, we didn’t do AU specific homework but I videotaped his first time in the channels. He started trying to weave in them! So I had to backchain using a single treat auto dispenser but the stupid thing wasn’t working well after he got the idea I switched to a toy and just did a call-to:

    And here is our 4 weave poles. I had been practicing in one direction (towards the camera) and then when I switched to going the other way (away from the camera) last session he was uncertain. So I will put these poles outside and move them around and practice going both ways. I am borrowing the full set tomorrow. He is definitely more thrilled with the toy than food but when I was first teaching it, I used food for more thoughtfulness.

    And about the DW mat. Since my last lesson, it is now placed on the DW with a part of the mat on the ground to cover the “drop off” at the end of the plank. The DW is low. Tonight I got out my 3 foot tunnel and a wing. He was hitting it in one direction but then after wrapping the wing leaping over it. So I tried to break it down more. He definitely was more enthusiastic about this than when it is on the DW.

    Anyway, this was after a long trial weekend. Just didn’t have the energy to set up the full tunnel and jumps tonight. Plus it was HOT today! Good thing we did some stuff later in the day outside.

    Thanks.
    Sandy

    in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #93997
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,
    Heading to a 2 day trial so did some homework today. By the way, I do have a set of home channel weaves. And I found some 2 x 2s to borrow. The see saw is gradually tipping…not quite to the mid way point yet.
    He’s not all that thrilled with the DW mat work. The manners minder was totally boring for him so Jess started using a toy with him and having him go to wrap a wing after hitting the mat. At home, he is just kind of blah about it. Won’t see Jess for awhile so I’ll keep working on it. Maybe it’s a confidence thing. And FINALLY, Linda Rose is starting a novice class so we are registered for that. They also have channels at JAG so maybe Linda will get them out sometime. It’s really a novice/open class so hard to say what levels everyone will be at. Obviously, he will not be doing contacts or weaves.

    Tried the zig zag with not as much angle…maybe it’s my set up or something else but he can bounce going one way but adds a stride going the other way. I made it a bit easier for a single rep but still no-go. I wonder if using a 4 ft bar would be better? So I just left it for now.

    Lap Turns:

    Tandem turns – he would not come to my hand when using dog side arm so I ended up just using the outside arm and that made a difference. It was a total fail using dog side arm so I deleted the video and changed my handling.

    Serpentines – I should have reviewed the set up so this is not what is on your demo video…Oops! Hopefully something good came from this. He thought it was fun and seemed to do well!

    Well deserved decompression, followed by a small chew and zonked out in his crate.
    https://studio.youtube.com/video/IMrhrjklv54/edit

    Thanks.
    Sandy

    in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #93953
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    Question: I have only ever had 2 sets of 2 x 2 weave poles. I’m working on getting Brioche thru 4 poles. It’s going pretty quickly. Jess is over in the Netherlands. I don’t know what the progression is once he gets 4 poles. Do I need to borrow another 2 pole set?

    Thanks.
    Sandy

    in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #93952
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,
    We have been working on more tip so I did one rep straight and one to each angle:

    Lead Outs, part 2. On the second video I did not maintain good connection and he broke his stay. Lesson learned. He really wanted to go on one of the reps but he stayed!

    Thanks.
    Sandy

    in reply to: Brioche and Sandy #93911
    Sandy Mainardi
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,
    Started with the see saw angled entries. No problems. He took it upon himself to climb right up the see saw while I was reloading the food. Guess he likes it!

    Zig Zag Grid went well. I put the bars at 6″. He has not been seeing bars at all aside from locked in on the lowest jump cup previously so it’s time to let him see a bit of height. Wasn’t sure how it would go but he did fine.

    Lead Out with BC. Figured we would do one type of lead out at a time. Again bars at 6″. I was relieved he didn’t knock the bars. Except for the last sit/stay I was using food to line him up. I know I shouldn’t get him reliant on that…but we were outside and you know….birds were flying etc…

    He’s doing well with the tip-it so far. I have that foam pipe insulation on the cross bar where the see saw hits to cushion the tip and reduce the sound. Should I keep using that? It’s metal on metal otherwise. In the very beginning he didn’t like that sound so much. I don’t have problem with keeping it on for now unless you think it is detrimental.

    Thanks.
    Sandy

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 309 total)