In this course we will have a series of tricks that are geared towards helping your dog learn body control. Tricks in this class involve using their body in a controlled manner to achieve each trick. There will be Novice, Intermediate and Advanced level tricks available each week, in total you will have access to 12 trick videos by the end of the course. Bonus part of the class is any trick completed will go towards your Do More With Your Dog Trick Title.
Trick training can offer so much more than a cute trick to show off to your friends. Trick training can help you build a stronger relationship with your canine partner by teaching impulse control and focus and improving body control and awareness. Trick training can be done with any age dog, from young puppies needing to learn how to our older dogs who are still looking for something to do.
How does this help with the sport of agility? By spending time teaching tricks to your dog, you are improving your relationship with your dog. You are learning to look for subtle weight shift or moves, which teaches you to really learn how your dog moves. Trick training teaches your dog how to learn and helps you see how your dog learns. Trick training also helps you and your dog to learn how to work through failures, frustrations and setbacks without having the strain and impacts that are involved with agility training.
In this course there will be a series of tricks that are focused on the dog controlling just parts or their entire body. Each week a Novice, Intermediate and Advanced trick video will be posted. People with working spots can post videos for 1, 2, or all 3 tricks for review.
Videos of completed tricks will be counted toward your trick titles through Do More With Your Dog (DMWYD). Instructions and guidance will be provided on how to complete the titles and submit for an official certificate and ribbon. It is important to note that DMWYD Trick Titles are easy to transfer into AKC Trick Titles.
Additional Course Details
- Stefanie Theis, CTDI
- Course starts on Monday, April 6, 2020.
- Registration closes on Monday, April 20, 2020.
- Course material access never expires.
- Open to All
- Course Structure:
- Progressive training assignments with the dog to be videotaped for feedback.
- Questions answered and feedback on each assignment from the instructor in the class forum.
- Discussion with other students (working and auditing) in the Class Forum as well as access to the general AU forums.
- Access to Class Chat
- Access to Faculty Office Hours
- Equipment needed (working participants only):
- Small carpet/mat, blanket, foot targets or paw pods, small block/stool/pedestal (yoga block size)
- Space required (working participants only):
- Small room (any room in a house)
- Enrollment in this course closed on 04/21/2020.