Here is a unique opportunity to bridge the gap between your young dog’s foundation training and the start of his trial career! Take your foundation from puppy-level to the competition ring with this supportive team-centered approach to creating a great transition to trialing.
This course is perfect for any dog one year and older that is getting ready to compete, as well as for dogs already competing and want to improve the experience.
You will also get training plans to help your dog love the competition ring, level-appropriate sequences to train on, support, feedback and troubleshooting as you prepare your youngster for the ring! The goal is to train great behavior at home and in class then transfer it to the competition ring. Topics covered include:
- Helping you become a great teammate to your dog
- Sequencing development and handling
- Obstacle commitment skills
- Teaching your youngster everything they need to know in order to have a great competition career
- The specific transition to trials progression: How to transfer training behaviors to the competition ring
- Individualized reinforcement strategies
- Confidence building and learning to balance arousal
- Focus and working through distractions
- How to balance play versus rest versus training versus conditioning/body work
- Outside-the-ring skills needed for the competition environment
- Troubleshooting and what to do when it all goes awry
- Finding and fixing foundation holes
- How to use training-in-the-ring and other schooling opportunities to maximize learning
- How to set and manage expectations
- How to set and manage goals
- And wherever else the transition to trialing takes us!
In order to give you time to train and implement these games in different locations, the 4 lesson packages will be spread out over 8 weeks!
These games are also terrific for anyone with young dogs who are getting ready to trial and can easily be incorporated into any young dog’s training adventures!
This class will work to increase success in the ring by focusing on getting your dog INTO the ring! You will learn how to best set your dog up for success, including how to:
- plan and handle sequences to help prepare your dog for course challenges
- plan and use reinforcement before, during, and after the transition from outside the ring to the start line
- engage with your dog without cookies or toys in your hands or pockets
- bring your dog into the optimal state of focus and engagement in the trial environment
- how to use training in the ring options to enhance your dog’s engagement and focus
- recognize and eliminate stress to create a great ring experience
- set up your training sessions to simulate the trial environment
- and more!
Additional Course Details
- Tracy Sklenar
- Course originally ran live starting on Monday, October 16th, 2023.
- Independent Study Registration starts on February 1, 2024 and is open-ended
- Course material access never expires.
- Working spots are best suited for dogs 1 year and over
- Course Structure:
- This unique “hybrid” course combines the traditional elements of Agility U’s online program with an option for LIVE participation and in-the-moment feedback! You can choose your level of participation in the online classroom – and everyone is welcome to participate in the Training Night Chats!
- Each game will feature a downloadable video explanation and demo as well as a written description.
- Equipment needed (working participants only):
- For handling games, 1 tunnel and 5 jumps are recommended. Participants should plan to have access to different training and trial environments.
- Space required (working participants only):
- For handling games, 50×50 is recommended. All games can be tweaked to fit smaller or larger spaces.
Independent Study Plan
Independent Study students can view and read all videos/assignments/posts from instructor and working students, but student will not be able to communicate with the instructor in the Forum.