Here is a unique opportunity to bridge the gap between your young dog’s foundation training and the start of his trial career! Take your foundation from puppy-level to the competition ring with this supportive team-centered approach to creating a great transition to trialing.
This course is perfect for any dog one year and older that is getting ready to compete, as well as for dogs already competing and want to improve the experience.
You will also get training plans to help your dog love the competition ring, level-appropriate sequences to train on, support, feedback and troubleshooting as you prepare your youngster for the ring! The goal is to train great behavior at home and in class then transfer it to the competition ring. Topics covered include:
- Helping you become a great teammate to your dog
- Sequencing development and handling
- Obstacle commitment skills
- Teaching your youngster everything they need to know in order to have a great competition career
- The specific transition to trials progression: How to transfer training behaviors to the competition ring
- Individualized reinforcement strategies
- Confidence building and learning to balance arousal
- Focus and working through distractions
- How to balance play versus rest versus training versus conditioning/body work
- Outside-the-ring skills needed for the competition environment
- Troubleshooting and what to do when it all goes awry
- Finding and fixing foundation holes
- How to use training-in-the-ring and other schooling opportunities to maximize learning
- How to set and manage expectations
- How to set and manage goals
- And wherever else the transition to trialing takes us!
In order to give you time to train and implement these games in different locations, the 4 lesson packages will be spread out over 8 weeks!
These games are also terrific for anyone with young dogs who are getting ready to trial and can easily be incorporated into any young dog’s training adventures!
This class will work to increase success in the ring by focusing on getting your dog INTO the ring! You will learn how to best set your dog up for success, including how to:
- plan and handle sequences to help prepare your dog for course challenges
- plan and use reinforcement before, during, and after the transition from outside the ring to the start line
- engage with your dog without cookies or toys in your hands or pockets
- bring your dog into the optimal state of focus and engagement in the trial environment
- how to use training in the ring options to enhance your dog’s engagement and focus
- recognize and eliminate stress to create a great ring experience
- set up your training sessions to simulate the trial environment
- and more!
You will also have the opportunity to participate in our five Training Night Chats!
- Monday, October 16 at 7pm Eastern: I will introduce the first set of games and answer questions to help get you started.
- Monday, October 30 at 7pm Eastern: This Training Night Chat will provide follow up and introduce the 2nd set of games. You can have your questions answered live, and you can also play a video clip of your training or trialing for discussion and feedback!
- Monday, November 13 at 7pm Eastern: This Training Night Chat will introduce the 3rd set of games and answer any questions about the previous games or the new ones. You can also play a video clip of your training or trialing for discussion and feedback!
- Monday, November 27 at 7pm Eastern: This Training Night Chat will introduce the 4th set of games and answer any questions about the previous games or the new ones. You can also play a video clip of your training or trialing for discussion and feedback!
- Monday, December 11 at 7pm Eastern: This wrap up Training Night Chat will allow you to ask any questions, plan your future training, and you can also play a video clip of your training for discussion and feedback!
Can’t make it to the Training Night Chats? No problem! They will all be recorded for you to view at any time.
Working Participants will also have the opportunity to stream their trial experiences (schedule permitting) for in-the-moment coaching and feedback!
Additional Course Details
- Tracy Sklenar
- Course starts on Monday, October 16th, 2023.
- Registration closes on November 1, 2023.
- Course material access never expires.
- Live Training Night Chat Dates:
- Mondays at 7pm Eastern: October 16, October 30, November 13, November 27, December 11
- Working spots are best suited for dogs 1 year and over
- Course Structure:
- This unique “hybrid” course combines the traditional elements of Agility U’s online program with an option for LIVE participation and in-the-moment feedback! You can choose your level of participation in the online classroom – and everyone is welcome to participate in the Training Night Chats!
- Each game will feature a downloadable video explanation and demo as well as a written description.
- Equipment needed (working participants only):
- For handling games, 1 tunnel and 5 jumps are recommended. Participants should plan to have access to different training and trial environments.
- Space required (working participants only):
- For handling games, 50×50 is recommended. All games can be tweaked to fit smaller or larger spaces.
This level includes auditing participation in the online classroom as well as participation in the Training Night Chats! You will be able to access all training games, videos, discussions and demos, ask questions, participate in discussions and chat, access recordings of the Training Night Chats, as well as participate in the Training Night Chats! Limit: unlimited
This level includes working participation in the online classroom as well as participation in the Training Night Chats! You will be able to post videos of your training in the online classroom for feedback and training suggestions, ask questions, participate in discussions and chat, access recordings of the Training Night Chats, as well as participate in the Training Night Chats and live trial feedback/coaching (schedule permitting)! Space Is Limited!
Syllabus Coming Soon!
This section does not have any lessons.