Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #98182
    cynthia
    Participant

    Ok great thanks!

    Today I just wanted to see how he would do while traveling and so I did a couple really simple things and kept them short. I used the Manners Minder for the tunnel because I wanted to make sure he stayed with me. I think he did a pretty good job. This is outside out camp site off leash. Fortunately most people have left. I do have a friend camping next to me still and she was doing some things and he looked at her a little bit. Oh and I had to get the battery out of the food and the manners minder that’s why I’m fussing around a little bit lol

    And we did some basic foot target. Also just really simple. I will probably train again this evening and make things a little more challenging since I think he did pretty well. I did feed out of my hand for the foot target because I wanted him to stay with me. Layer I can get a mat or something to toss the treat on. Or use the flirt pole and see if hell stay with me for that.

    • This reply was modified 18 hours, 42 minutes ago by cynthia.
    in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #98137
    cynthia
    Participant

    Ok I’ll see if Astrid can do some of his homework for me!

    That makes sense about my hand position I will try to be more aware of that next time.

    I did these videos on Thursday before I left for the shows and am only posting them now. So I did some more tunnel threadle and used the flirt pole and I think he did good! I worked for 3 minutes but I did play a lot again to keep his attention and enthusiasm.

    I also worked some barrel wraps again but his flirt pole broke oops lol. I did fix it and continued on but he’s definitely not ready for me to throw the toy and leave the toy for the wrap. Haha oops.

    We also did some hand touches for steps and this was really short!

    in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #98096
    cynthia
    Participant

    Thanks! I think we had a bit of a challenge at the agility barn. Once I’m back in town on a regular basis I’ll go they more. But that won’t be until January. And I’ll be in Germany for 14 days in November and Fix will be staying with friend so be doesn’t push my poor husband and older dogs around. Lol. Unfortunately I won’t be able to train during that time, but my friend (Astrid) will be doing some training while I’m gone and she’s good!

    So I tried the rear cross game again and I think it went better but I did feed from my hand again (oops) which I do need to stop. Fix has a really nice natural look at me and heeling which I do want to cultivate eventually, but I actually haven’t worked it much. He has his rally novice title just for fun but other than that I haven’t done much rally or obedience. Oh and yeah I try to balance his sit and stand a LOT. He was sitting on the show ring quiet a bit so I’ve been working his stand, and now he has them both down pretty well !

    Anyway I wanted to try the fun tunnel game because it’s new and we all like tunnels! I was using this baby tunnel a couple of months ago so he’s familiar with it. So I probably worked too long but we were having fun and he kept going. I can bring the tunnel on my trip but I don’t think I can bring the tunnel bags. My trailer is little and always stuffed to the gills so I’ll have to work on something else so it won’t roll.

    Then I did work the foot target and rear cross in the backyard and I think I did better. But I did feed from my hand a little bit. He still spun when turning left, which was probably my poor timing again. But his turn to the right went really well!

    in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #98010
    cynthia
    Participant

    Sounds good thanks! I don’t know if I really expanded on the last training today… I took Fix to the agility barn and he was pretty darn distracted. I also brought Dreamer so Fix could have some downtime while I worked Dreamer. Fix got stuck on some spots on the turf that just have smelled really well. I did let him sniff a little bit, but if he wouldn’t work again I put him into the crate and let him watch me and Dreamer work. When he came back out again he did seem more interested in working.

    So here are some bits of what we did.

    First we worked a little turn and burn. I forgot my barrel and I didn’t think a tunnel on its side would be a good option (Keith and Suzie need a Barrel, I thought they had one! Lol). So after we did this I wasn’t sure if I did it right lol. And at one point he did go off and got his nose glued to the turf. So that’s when I put him away. I got him back out and this was what we got after the bit of break. It’s mostly playing that’s why the video is 3 minutes.

    Then we didn’t a little straight on foot target. I thought he did pretty good, though I did have to move a little closer to get him step on the target. As I was doing this I wasn’t sure if I should be pointing with my hand and foot or not

    Then I tried the rear cross again but I was having issues lol. I was trying to send him from too far for this new place, I think, so I kinda gave up on the rear cross and just clicked for him going ahead of me and touching the thing.

    I also did the blind cross and throw the toy exercise (I’m so bad at remembering the game names 😜). I think we did a pretty good job but I still have to do it by myself first to get my mechanics right. I threw the initial toy back and then when he wrapped around me I didn’t have a treat in my hand, I just threw the lotus ball.

    I haven’t taken him to the barn very often and maybe I need to go more.

    I am actually going to be away from home for four weekends in a row starting this weekend. I was only planning two weekends, then coming home for a weekend then going out again. But there is a show that is supposed to have majors for Fix and I didn’t know about it until last minute so I’m gonna hit that one too. Gah. I am glad I have my trailer!

    • This reply was modified 1 week ago by cynthia.
    in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #97963
    cynthia
    Participant

    Well I didn’t get anything done at all when I was on my trip to Colorado. Even not being any agility and not entering rally, I still entered too much and didn’t have hardly any extra time. But we had fun! 😄

    I’ve been back for a few days and I’ve been working through exercises but haven’t done video until today. So here’s what we did.

    First I worked Fix’s foot target. I absolutely love this for a rear cross! We did the drive-by (I’m not far yet) and the send behind and the rear cross. Just a couple of each. He’s definitely spinning the wrong way when he does the rear. When I practiced yesterday I helped him a little by keeping my hand more in his face to get him to turn the correct way, but apparently that didn’t stick and today he’s back to spinning. Should I hope that fades on its own?

    Then we did some barrel rolls. I kinda think he’s stronger on his right than his left. We didn’t do many. Most of it is okay and getting the toy back. I hope I did okay with where the leash was placed for me to drop the flirt pole toy. I’m still working out my mechanics of how to hold it and how to drop it. But he loves that thing better than any other toy so should I keep using it?

    Then I did the complicated maneuver which I’m not good at yet lol. The blind then turn than throw. Half of this video is me figuring out what to do so I put some fast forward on some bits. I used the lotus toy at first to throw so he’d have a good reward. He’s not really used to it yet and it takes him a while to get the food out. But when I tried a toy that was a flop. So I went back to the lotus ball toy. Then at one point he realized there was something on the trash can lol. It was just a clicker so I put that in my pocket. I’m definitely not confident about my movement on this game yet.

    Last we did some backing up. It took me a while to figure out how far I needed to be from the foot target. And how much of his body needed to be between my legs for him to back up instead of go through my legs. I cut all that out because it’s boring and irrelevant lol so I just included the last bit where I figured it out. Last winter I did some backing up with him but I sat on the floor and he backed up between my legs. He didn’t relate that to this at all. Hahah.

    in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #97728
    cynthia
    Participant

    Haha yeah Costco toy addiction is a pretty good addiction. I don’t think I’ve gotten the salmon treats I’ll have to look!

    I do love the puppy leap it’s so adorable. I’ll miss it when it’s gone. Most of the video is playing so I was feeling bad it was so long but then I figured you can fast forward through the playing. I’m usually good at playing with my dogs a lot and not taking the toys too soon. Fix will even push his toy into the back of my legs to play. And while this may not be ideal when he’s older, lol, I like that he’s asking to play so I engage with him. Or else he’ll pounce on the other dogs with his toy and none of them like that. Lol.

    I’m bringing this toy on my trip, as well as my barrel. I had to take a break from class last night and find my barrel and the flirt pole and I think he did really good! I have not used the barrel before work him but he even offered one wrap so I rewarded that!

    I have to clean up my mechanics with this game think lol. And I keep forgetting to put a collar on him. Oops

    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by cynthia.
    in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #97713
    cynthia
    Participant

    I don’t remember if I was playing standing up. Hah. My brain is pretty fried from the shows. But yeah he was a bit distracted in the environment. He did really good showing though!

    I didn’t do much yesterday. Just showed and crashed. Today I crashed and packed. Hah. Driving to Denver tomorrow for more shows.

    This afternoon I decided I would try a really visible toy for the race me game. I’m wondering if he can’t see the lower toys in the grass. I think this one worked really well! My husband is addicted to buying dog toys at Costco and this one worked out! But I think his silly leap at the end slows him down. 🤣

    in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #97657
    cynthia
    Participant

    Yeah he lets me know when he’s bored with something lol. I just have to listen! I will wait him out in the future. I did a little waiting today. It is a really hard environment for young dog brain.

    Today I tried to use the toys with the cone but nope, he wasn’t into playing. He played last weekend at agility but the energy is different here. So I didn’t try very long. And when he rolled on his back just played with his tummy lol.

    Then I did the bowl to Bowl again and kept it short. I did try a little toy play again. But again nope. 😀 I also put the cone on top of the cooler I brought with snacks. The good thing is he didn’t try to get my tomato sandwiches out of the cooler so yay! Lol

    Then I did the foot target again and sent him with my arm and foot. And I just had him come back to me like you said. We do show tomorrow too so I’ll see how much dog I have left. I might have a little time tomorrow morning to do something at home where he’s less distracted.

    in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #97637
    cynthia
    Participant

    That makes sense he wants to shred the fur toys rather than tug them. I was hoping he would want to tug. He does seem to get bored with things when I do them too often. I can just use the squeaker toy when we do that game in the future. And I also thought, after I posted, that he didn’t like it wasn’t sure about the push back. Maybe I need to work up to that. I can try an air cookie once. That may piss him off lol. And he definitely loves climbing the mini dog walk! I also have my teeter outside. It’s propped up on both ends so it doesn’t move and he likes climbing on that too.

    We are showing this weekend and there isn’t any grass area to train on unfortunately. And he did get pretty tired yesterday. We didn’t train yesterday we just walked and showed. Today I brought some stuff and we trained a little in the morning. I thought I’d keep it really simple and use food to keep his attention. Lots of dogs around and I don’t trust him not to run off and visit. He thinks everyone is his friend. I wish I thought everyone was my friend! Hahha.

    So I did the bowl to bowl with the cone and I sat on a chair. I can’t kneel on this awful dirt anyway. But I did move the cone out a little too far.

    Then I just did the little send to the foot target. I don’t think I did a great job with this one lol. But I think he did pretty well.

    in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #97589
    cynthia
    Participant

    It actually was one toy that was long and falling apart so I cut it in half. So not sure why he liked the right side better!

    Today I started with the same game in the same rooms with the same toys. I think I probably went too long because he was leaving me at the end. One of his playology squeaky toys was right outside the gate behind the camera. He absolutely loves those toys … As you’ll see in the next video lol. But I do want him to enjoy the longer toys too because they are so versatile. We also use the playology to jump in the pool in the backyard so they are very high value.

    Then we went outside and I tried the race to toy game where I push him back and try to beat him. I think if I use a treat to throw back, he would ignore the toy and just search for the treat. I was using a real fur toy here which he likes, but he saw the playology toy in the grass and decided he wanted that. So I tried to put it away on my mini dog walk… Well he thought he would just get that one instead. Hahahah he makes me laugh. Bad trainer!!

    So I put the fur toy on the deck where he couldn’t see it and could get to it and we did it again with the playology toy. He’s not really beating me to the toy, so I tried to stay engaged and dance around with the toy. But the third time I gave him more opportunity to win because I didn’t want him to get demotivated. Losing all the time sucks! Maybe he just doesn’t understand the game yet?

    Oh, and I always debate about using a toy I want to use vs using the toy the dog likes best. What should I do about that?

    Last we went onto the deck and used the mushroom again for the bowl to bowl. He did great! He didn’t cheat even once and I moved the mushroom out quite a bit. And this one I kept super short.

    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by cynthia.
    in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #97564
    cynthia
    Participant

    That’s interesting about the service dogs being more reactive when tired. I can sure relate. I know I have less patience and don’t learn as well when I’m tired!

    Life got away from me today so I wasn’t able to do much. And… Tired this evening so I just took Fix into the spare bedroom and we did the toy play back and forth. He thought it was great! I did smack him on the rear when he wasn’t paying attention to the live toy lol. This is the first time we’ve done this.

    in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #97514
    cynthia
    Participant

    Yes Marie is my helper she’s wonderful!

    Sounds good about using a longer toy and positioning it better. I’ve gotten used to Dreamer who loves toys no matter what. So I’m still learning how to toy play with Fix. I don’t want to lose his toy play like I have with other dogs in the past. And I do have a flirt pole I can bring. He loves that thing.

    The decel game is fun and he definitely likes the treats! He loves those St Rocco’s!

    We didn’t show over those four days. It was Agility only. So Fix just got to come and socialize and sniff and pee and train a little and be cute and silly. I can definitely see less impulse control when he’s tired. I don’t know if that’s harder for terriers since he’s my first, but I also think he’s just a dog and still learns the same way as any other dog, I just need to make sure I adjust to what he needs.

    Showing is definitely still tiring for him. We have a really busy next couple of weeks so we’ll see how he does. After this coming weekend I’m going to Colorado for the following weekend for showing so we are gonna be busy. But I’ll bring his training stuff and try to keep up!

    We are all having a nice quiet day today!

    in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #97485
    cynthia
    Participant

    Thank you! I am so thrilled with this puppy! He really did so well in a difficult environment and he did get so tired today. I kept it short and fun like you said, but today on the blinds exercise he did actually run off to the person walking by lol. So we stopped.

    He was a little better for the collection exercise but I had treats so he stayed with me. I still think he ran pretty fast! And I think I remembered to decel! Hahha

    I think we are going to take Tuesday off training completely and just have a rest day. We have 3 down days this week, then I’m showing him in breed for four days next weekend so we’ll see how that goes too!

    in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #97430
    cynthia
    Participant

    Thank you! Yeah my helper did great not letting him go until he was looking at me. And I’m so happy he’s keeping his engagement with me and not running off to visit! He loves other people and dogs so I’m glad he’s choosing me. I’ll work on the blind cross exercise a bit more without a dog first so I can get my mechanics down better.

    To keep things interesting for him today I went back to the bowl bowl with the cone and the driving to the toy when I chase him. I even brought my chair so I could pick up the bowls and the cone and put them away, and still have everything we did be in the view of the video camera. I was really happy with how he was able to switch. I split the session into two videos but it was really the same session.

    And I’m playing with him a lot between toy throws because you said he didn’t like it when I took it away so soon.

    So the first bit. There was something icky in that new bag of treats so I was slow getting them out, it was a new bag, so I fast forwarded that bit lol

    And then the second part. Definitely helped to put the bowls and cone and everything away so he would play again. And this is a little squeaky purple octopus 🐙 that he loves.

    • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by cynthia.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by cynthia.
    in reply to: Cynthia and Fix #97401
    cynthia
    Participant

    Thanks! Today I had a helper and she held onto Fix while I ran. I think he was pretty speedy! My helper told me I did the blind cross exercise wrong tho oops. I thought I would submit it anyway. And Fix was ok with the toy, but the grass was waaay interesting and so I kept this short.

    I also did the drive to handler with a helper and I think he did really good. I sometimes forgot to decel lol. But I think he had fun and did well and he stayed with me for the treats. I didn’t do the bowl and cone today but I will do that again tomorrow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)