Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
EJ
ParticipantTeaching Collection Part 2:
Here’s Charley’s first try at this game. I only did the baby part, and was surprised at how he caught on.
EJ
ParticipantHere is a followup to the wrapping game (bowl game). Suggestion was to try a cone (after we used a step ladder in one of the videos). We did use the cone, but no video, then continued on with a ‘barrel.’ I laughed watching this video — I don’t get to see the camera’s eye view of him.
Hind end awareness: Here is Charley backing up onto a scrap of rubber matting. We’ve done this a few times before this video. I know that the next step will be backing up onto a slanted board. Is it okay to use a small piece of plywood with this mat or a yoga mat set on top?
Prop games parallel path: This is the counter motion games and rear crosses. I ‘think’ that counter motion was okay, though my space limitations may have affected the timing of my pivot. For the rear cross, Charley consistently turns away from me, thereby spinning in the opposite direction. We’ve done this several times with the same results, so I must be making the same mistake.
EJ
ParticipantSSC2/Folding it in:
This was Charley’s first try at a cone wrap using a bowl with treats.Goat Part2 (movement and sound)
I started with a small nubby disc, but it seemed too small for Charley to fit both front and back feet. I switched to a jumbo nubby disc. I moved to place bubble wrap underneath (not too smoothly). I couldn’t hear any noise from the bubbles, though.EJ
ParticipantCharley’s first formal plank work: Plankrobatics
He’s been climbing on stuff since I brought him home (4 weeks ago). This was the first time that I asked him to circle on top of the plank. It’s a work in progress.Wrapping Part3: We’ve been working on this since the feedback on initial wrap work. I haven’t moved the ladder very far away from me, maybe 8″.
EJ
ParticipantHere is Charley’s first attempt at Drive to Handler. We had a few practice tries and then jumped right in. This doesn’t include the front cross. I think that my bending over for this smaller dog (my other two are standard poodles) will be something that I’ll need to work against.
Here is Goat Tricks 1. I used the tray (cookie sheet here) as shown in one of the demo videos.
I used a different treat for both of these. It took a few tries for Charley to discover that they were tastier than kibble, and then he was all in. He’s still slow to find them, and I don’t think that it’s the color of the treats. We play a lot of “scatter” with handfuls of kibble. He often seems to be ‘sniffing out’ the food rather than finding visually.
EJ
ParticipantHere is our first attempt at the Blind Cross Foundation. I tried this initially outdoors for more space, but the treat became lost in the grass. This video looks better to me than it felt at the time.
This is our first try at Stealth Self Control. This is the longest space in my home, no long hallways. The camera is set up on the staircase landing!
I should move that grooming table to the side when we play!!
-
This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by
EJ.
EJ
ParticipantI’ve reposted Wrap Shaping
EJ
ParticipantHere are 3 of the week 1 games. We’ve been working on Driving Ahead since the demonstration a week ago. The only negative that I noticed while filming this video is that Charley seemed a little intimidated when I ran with him, toward the end of the clip. This may be due to him feeling crowded in the small space that we’re working in.
I tried Drive to Handler, but Charlie still isn’t seeing thrown treats well. I tried with a yoga mat last week on the foot target exercise, until he discovered that yoga mats can also be play things. I’m going to look for a piece of astro turf type matting to cover the rug.
This was the first time that we tried the Prop Send exercise, and I was really happy with the results.
The third exercise is Wrap Shaping. We’ve also been working on this for about a week. I only included the version with treats. Charley also likes toys in this game, though tended to stay longer on the toy than the bowl (once it’s emptied of a treat).
-
This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by
EJ.
EJ
ParticipantHere is our first set of exercises, the nose touch and paw touch. The nose touch presented the least challenge. I used the plastic lid to a canning jar, and Charley “got it” right away. I rewarded him from my hand, rather than tossing, and just noticed this while viewing the video clip.
The paw touch was more challenging. I used a yoga block, which isn’t used in training. Charley has received a lot of reinforcement for looking at me since he came home 2 weeks ago. Sometimes he stalled during this exercise possibly expecting a treat to come his way for eye contact alone. The other challenge was that Charley had difficulty locating the treats (his regular tiny kibble) that I threw as a reward. Is this due to the patterned rug? The vision of a puppy? I’m reluctant to use a light-colored cheese, which may be more visible, due to potential digestive issues. Any suggestions for light-colored treats? Maybe a different type of flooring? I noticed that some handlers completed this exercise on a concrete surface.
Looking forward to feedback, and to watching tonight’s first session.
Elisabeth
-
This reply was modified 1 month ago by
EJ.
-
This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by
-
AuthorPosts