Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
mgushchina
ParticipantBenny didn’t notice dog running in the ring. But he barked on the short leash at walks or passing by. He doesn’t notice anything when I have toys:
teeter – i train 4-in, ‘bow’ trick. I think ‘bow’ on a small strip of carpet with toy static on the ground – best for him. But we cannot use stays with toys yet:))
mgushchina
ParticipantBenny had a bad unfortunate incident = one larger dog accidently snaped him and we took 2 week brak for recovery. All good, cleared for all activities. And Benny was on fire again. We are catching up
2-dogs wraps – Benny didn’t pay any attention on Kite, but Kite didn’t want to start as always:)) What other variations we can do?
Backing up on the mat:
happy crazy wraps:
foot target with treats and toys:
moving plank:
mgushchina
Participantyes, we play the ‘engagement’ (predictability game) for a long time. It’s impossible for him to see and find treats outside, so we use toys outside. We use treats inside. He doesn’t have problems with it – he engages to me well but oftentimes he is not interested in treats outside – but toys work everywhere.
I took him in the class (dogs running right next to use behind the fence). He doesn’t notice them when we play or to tricks.
feet target (with distractions all around) – tried first rear crosses and we could manage a couple of correct turns in the end.
and increasing distance for the backpack wraps with me standing:
here is the first impulse control with ‘bow’ – his special trick that I prepare for the teeter (started with treat tosses game):
mgushchina
ParticipantFor dog team – yes, I have another well-trained papillon Kite. Kite doesn’t like starts (he sniffs at starts) but we can try. I also have another younger sheltie – he loves treats/does good starts but I am not sure if he can ignore toys in my hand – we can try it too.
Backing up – he is much fluent on his 2d session going backwards. He did longer fluent backing ups so I tried the elevated platform – that was much more challenging concept because he used to come there in 2-off position, entering on the platform from front. So he tried to enter it sideways first, before finally getting a few steps backwards on the platform.
Restraint to toy after wraps – he was OK getting the toy hidden behind the wing, but could not take the wing if the could see the toy on the opposite side. So I tried other options that I think worked well. First – stared closer to the wing if the toy is visible. Then – he was driving perfectly toy the wing if the toy was in my hand on on the ground next to me (after barrel toy-switch game:)). So I used it too – started to move the toy on the ground away from me, close to the wing, while restraining and pointing him with both hand to the right side of the turn. I think it worked too.
lateral object – he needed time to build more value and understanding for this strange object. I think he got better this time – more focused on the target. He didn’t look back at me when I threw balls and said ‘go’:) I tried to toss treats on the towel – no interest. He can switch to treats to release the toy. But yes, he knows ball throw game – just run forward and back to toss balls. Now I am using ball games for the lateral target.
mgushchina
ParticipantI liked the new ‘noodle’ prop for lateral sends – it was new, but he got it right away. I just tossed balls ahead. he is fast and doesn’t do any trotting, so he shoots forward in front of me and can look back after taking the prop, so I throw the ball ahead. I tried with treats – he cannot find it in the grass so toys work better.
Wraps at all angles with early leaves, working 2 dogs parallel very close. Everybody loved the game! LOL, even Igor:) Benny didn’t pay any attention to Winnie this time.
mgushchina
ParticipantBacking up – we played it before,but long time ago. This is the first refresh backup session. Benny offered ‘bow trick’ as we are working a lot on it. But he remember the backing up too:)
Target – big difference! Smaller elevated platform gave me good consistent hit criteria and I could do anything else – like sending backwards. His commitment with toys/treats combo on this target was way better.
-
This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by
mgushchina.
mgushchina
Participantwraps: sends, blinds, a bit of offering and trying rear crosses. Added call to hand/pivot after the wing:
-
This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by
mgushchina.
mgushchina
ParticipantWe did ‘treat-call to hand and go’ game as a variation with wraps and balls. It was much easier for Benny: send or offer wrap, immediate leave (as in wrap-send game) and call to hand/pivot then throw. Using toys and do it in one flow was easier for both of us, in both directions. I left eqarlier and did bc,fc and turns. I started use call to hand commands on pivots – so he is learning call to hand cue at the same time. It all really look simple when we put it together:)
Foot target sends – using the prop is my biggest concern. I use the better non-slip mat for running contacts – it has nice size and non-slip. And I use same games for distance,lines, 180 degree turns as we played in class when I train running contacts – so the concept is great. But – the main focus on this target hit are rear feet and, when adding the distance – separation. I shall not reward front feet only, or skipping/flying over the mat, or poor hit with rear foot. In contrast – in prop target games we reward everything, any hit or flying over, as soon as the dog is committed to the target, and focus on our handling/lines only. That’s my real concern as I am afraid when it’s time for the real mat work – it will be very confusing for the dog to re-learn all this bad hits patterns. benny is surely not ready for perfect rear feet hits with adding distance and forward focus at the same time.
What I do when I train mat hits for DW: 180 turns with correct rear feet only hits, like going in-out the box, then increase send distance, then slightly add soft turns, distance for soft turns and finally – straight entries like lateral distance because it’s the hardest to hit with rear feet and adjust the stride. So my question – can i split-up this mat/rear fit hits and lateral/distance lines?
This is the mat-prop session – he liked the target focus, I think, but I really didn’t like his untrained hits – or misses when running straight.. And I am concerned that would be a bad learning pattern to break when I need to train hits.
Another way I was thinking – I can use a smaller front feet target instead of larger mat for rear feet training. I use it for noisy target slams training, like metal small pot lid. I teach him to slam noisy moving target. So I can use this front feet smaller object for the parallel line and target work – but I would strictly enforce hits in this case. The dog must slam the target consistently – not near-misses, not running over or around or near – it must be same consistent front feet hits?
-
This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by
mgushchina.
mgushchina
ParticipantBenny surprised me – we tried shaping the new ‘object’ – my backpack – during our dog class. He was great! Switched toys/sides and running around the object, adding some distance:)
stepping on object, wait and fast releases from it. Same way – sits and fast releases. Can we use it for start line releases, to the static toy?
mgushchina
Participantrestraint for the static toy behind the cone – I used the harness this time. He still pulled a lot (I liked it) – and this time he was successful. We did both directions – he could not see the toy directly, it was hidden from his straight path behind the cone.
2-dog recall game: Benny was very focused on his toy. He noticed my 2d dog Winnie first time when we started – he was surprised and barked. When we played and did wraps – he didn’t notice anything except his toy. Then he ‘discovered’ Winnie and came closer once in-between our play.
mgushchina
ParticipantWOW! yes, cool game with 2 dogs. I understand, will try next:))
first ‘Pile play’ today.
Plank – Benny knows it well, we tossed treats a lot in the past. today I added extra tugging to the plank. Badja board tugging – he knows it well, and today I put a small wooden object to get some noise – Benny didn’t notice it:) Something totally new for Benny – puppy teeter. I wanted him offering, and I rewarded it just like other hop-on-top objects. I think he was pretty comfortable with it – no noise on this object, just movement.
mgushchina
ParticipantI don’t have the second helper and somebody else dog. I train with my friend sometimes but her dog doesn’t have self-control and can be aggressive to other dogs. What I can do: use my one husband helper – Igor was holding Benny in the past session. I can have my old trained dog but without extra helpers. I can place my other dogs in the playpen, or have them sit/stay next to us. Or – we can have the session next to the fence in the park, staying outside park/fence. Benny can see dogs through the wire fence but not contact. I can change the distance between us and the fence – so dogs can be far away on the background.
First session with the bolster, me standing and tossing treats – Benny got it fast, I think. He is not excited about treats and we had my other dog in the crate barking next (I had to crate him there) – still Benny did it.
Session with toys and bolster got much better, I think – Benny is excited about toys but got it too. I was standing, but in order to switch toys – I need to hold the tugging toy on the ground. So I was leaning a lot because I have to tug lower with him, then hold that toy on the ground to switch.
Wrap/sends. We tried, but Benny is super crazy with restraints – as he supposed to be:) We also worked a lot with restraints in the past, so he is jumping and pulling in all directions to get the toy. I tried to hold him with one hand and point with another. If we will change to stays instead of holding – Benny can sit/wait with treats (not so much excited) but cannot do it with toys. That’s why we played with sends/sits on the platform before – I wanted to increase his sit/stay with the toy. When I use the toy with sits – he would drop in sit and immediately spring up to get his toy. He understand stays and can stay much longer with treats – so we need to transition to sits with the toy first.
mgushchina
ParticipantI don’t have helpers’ calm dogs – or any helper. I can try dog park away from dogs, or outside the fence to avoid any contact. but benny doesn’t notice anything when we tug and chase toy – he already ignores dogs when we play together. but when he is farther away fetching the toy – he may get distracted.
Toy cone sends – we did it with wings, so this is using cones first time. Fist I just sent him as in forward focus, then time – I use sends with my hand and body rotation. I want to get used to my hand sends and verbal. He knows this game over the wing, so I think he picked up fast:)
Moving objects – we played a lot in the past, tugged on badja board outside. I can add some noise. I used this fitness object first time and he offered it with the toy:)
mgushchina
ParticipantCone shaping – I used toys/play/treats – he is getting more consistent and I slightly increased the distance. If I stand – how do I keep toys on the floor? Or The toys will be on my side and not on the floor. Also, when I sit – the food target shall be on the floor and I just drop treats there?
Platform sends – focusing on right, getting more consistency and distance too. Lots of play in-between.
recall games – we played a lot of restraint chasing in the past, and this time we added me running in circles around him and blinds as in your video. He had no problems with it, so I added wings and tunnel. We also focused more on sends/offer right turns.
mgushchina
ParticipantSure, I would love recall games – any dynamic or toy play is super fun.
Cone and target with toys:
-
This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by
-
AuthorPosts