Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Jessica and Roxette #97798
    Sabraski
    Participant

    Here is week 3 prop and a little backup. With tossing food on the floor she’s been more likely to disengage and sniff around but the ready dance seems to help. I cut out the toy play but this session had some of that too. Thx!https://youtu.be/t1PTMmxnWG0?si=A3Leku0CctQce8iJ

    Here is collection https://youtu.be/RQe_N2MEHWM?si=vWwf0k43jItmpR65

    Here is turn and burn

    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Sabraski.
    in reply to: Jessica and Roxette #97684
    Sabraski
    Participant

    Here is toy races. I decided to toss her back a bit rather than tossing food because I thought she’d become too interested in food and ignore the toy. I think this went well, I got a little growl out of her ( she growls a lot when playing with her buddies)

    And here is our progression of several short sessions of wing wrap foundations. She did great with a toy warmup and going back to the toy after a food session so I cut most of the toy play out.

    She did get frustrated when I had started with a folded up barrel and used a toy rather than food. Or maybe she just wanted to play with the barrel? It made me laugh. I followed up with a food session after that went well( not included). Maybe I need more food sessions before trying the toy again? Or maybe I need to get better offering to go between the toys?

    And here is moving the bowl to the opposite side of the cone.

    in reply to: Jessica and Roxette #97634
    Sabraski
    Participant

    Here is goat tricks 2. She loves getting on all things like tables, counters, crate tops, my desk ( so she can knock over and enjoy my coffee when I’m not paying attention). Naughtiest dog ever lol.

    in reply to: Jessica and Roxette #97601
    Sabraski
    Participant

    Interesting! Was this later in the evening than usual, closer to bed time? Or before dinner? It is entirely possible that time of day plays a role in being able to tug or not. If she is hungry for a meal, or if her nervous system is winding down for the night, I can see that toy play might not be something she can do. I mean, if it is close to my bedtime or I am hungry… I am not a trainable creature LOL!

    I have found she can’t work on an empty stomach so I train after feeding her. This was closer to bedtime and she had an active day.

    But in the other times of day where to play might be harder – just play with toys 🙂 Don’t have food in the picture at all and don’t plan for big learning. Just hang out and play silly throw or chase games, to help re-wire her body to want to play at any time, all the time. If it is later at night, she might need to sniff around for treats to wind down from the excitement of it 🙂

    Awesome advice! Thank you!

    You were cracking me up with the ‘get your bunny’ and it actually did look like a bunny on a rope LOL!

    She’s an impressive vermin hunter so this was a new rabbit fur toy I got her on Wednesday. She was like ewwww what is this lol. She slept on it and now likes it.

    Thanks for all the ideas!

    in reply to: Jessica and Roxette #97587
    Sabraski
    Participant

    Here is our early morning sessions for SSc Folding it in(2 short ones, I work each side separately and I’m only including one side.)

    Last night I tried to do these exercises but I couldn’t get her to engage with a toy. She kept running to the food table crying for treats. So, I abandoned the excercise and moved to a further part of the room and was able to get a good play session out of her then we stopped for the night.

    I was happy I got her to tug, work for food, then tug again this am as well as do the game with just the toy.

    So, if I know she’s likely going to refuse a toy ( like later in the evening) would it be ok to not even present a toy to her and do the games with just food ( I think she’ll happily work for food)? Or should I stick to games just when I know she’s likely to want to tug (early morning when she’s fresh?).

    in reply to: Jessica and Roxette #97506
    Sabraski
    Participant

    Here is the wing wrap foundation for real 🙂

    in reply to: Jessica and Roxette #97483
    Sabraski
    Participant

    Ok, remembered the harness, the ready dance and kept food rewards short to mix with toys. I think it went better. https://youtu.be/lOb_i07NOpM?si=UZpYj0EtX3QTYppI

    Also worked ( in diff sessions ) wing wrap foundation and goat.

    in reply to: Jessica and Roxette #97410
    Sabraski
    Participant

    Hi!

    Multi toy toy for the win she likes it. I worked sends but forgot her harness because I was videoing smh.

    Worked prop1 game a few times. Recorded this but forgot to reference the field guide so forgot the ready-ready-ready part smh.

    Thx!

    in reply to: Jessica and Roxette #97218
    Sabraski
    Participant

    And here is pregame nose target. I’m not sure why I was saying yes and good. I think I have been mostly using good to mean keep doing that ( stay on your mat) and haven’t done a lot of shaping so I forget lol.

    And focus forward part 1

    I wasn’t really committed to which toy to use and switched then realized she will play me in the future lol.

    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Sabraski.
    in reply to: Jessica & Falco #95667
    Sabraski
    Participant

    Thanks! I’ll setup some less exciting objects and mix up the weave locations etc.

    Tonight I’m including my first run in 2 different sessions of jumping. I did break things down a bit so I could reward him after each of these sessions. Thx for your help! I look really boring/standing around when I’m doing these courses lol.

    in reply to: Jessica & Falco #95640
    Sabraski
    Participant

    Here is week 2 under pressure.
    One of our biggest challenges trialing is having enough focus for weave poles. He’s got great skills and can do amazing weaves but at trails or some class situations (a few very large dogs barking in the next ring can distract him) he will run right past them. I don’t believe it’s due to not being able to collect to get in the poles, I think mentally he isn’t focus enough to do them. And it’s not just weaves. Sometimes at trials (usually outdoor ones) he acts as if he’s never been trained lol. He’ll pick a line and stick with it regardless of what I’m doing. The last trial I decided to do several NFC runs to help him get in the right state of mind and that helped, we had a pretty good weekend overall.

    So, first rep (no distraction) fine. Second rep (with a plastic bag) fine. Then I decided to bring out the big guns. He’s a covid puppy and once we started back at class when he was younger, I realized not training around other dogs was a huge issue for him (he couldn’t focus). So, I bought several full sized plush dogs which seem to get him every time lol. So, the Beagle distraction got him on the first try but then he got the weaves the second time.

    This is how trials can go as well. Especially if the courses are well nested and the weaves don’t move. He will often times not even try to do the weaves the first time but after he knows they are there, he may be able to do them

    in reply to: Jessica & Falco #95149
    Sabraski
    Participant

    I attempted week 1 jumping 1 and it quickly showed my problem areas 🙂

    I was able to finally get a nice turn from 4 to 5 which made the line easier (first few he cut in). This is definitely and issue I have. He can collect but I have a hard time queuing it consistently. It feels like he should have had nice turns because I was right there though.

    Backside 13 was also hard. I think because I was behind and couldn’t put pressure on his line?

    That’s all I can get in this week, I’m out of town for work then camping for a week so I will try to catch up soon.

    in reply to: Jessica & Falco #95016
    Sabraski
    Participant

    He is named after the 80’s Falco singer 🙂

    Yes, 2 brake hands are something I need to work on, I forget to use them. And good observation on the left being harder for him. He’s always had a harder time on the left for things like even jumping out of the car, he prefers to turn to the right. I don’t know if it’s a behavioral thing or a physical thing, but he’s always been that way.

    I was doing the thigh tap because I didn’t setup the course with enough room and I was afraid he’d smash into the wall (he won’t, but I thought he might lol).I should have fixed the course or just supported the jump better, he was a good boy and came with me.

    thx for the feedback!

    in reply to: Jessica And Falco #37240
    Sabraski
    Participant

    Since this is hard stuff, I’ve been working sections of the Std 1 course this week and today I tried to put it together. The weave section is the hardest. When it was broken down he’s been successful (when he was fresh and had only worked the tunnel through weaves section). But, today we made an attempt and moved on. It would probably be easier to handle the jump/weaves from the other side but I don’t think I can get there. I also don’t trust him to do the backside after the dw (he runs around the jump if I’m moving) so that complicates things too.

    in reply to: Jessica And Falco #36845
    Sabraski
    Participant

    Ok! Took me a few tries to figure out how this sorcery works. I’ve seen people do it, but I didn’t realize I needed the ‘Slow your roll’ break. I wish I had left the recording on because after I was successful, I ran it again but didn’t take a long of a lead out (wanted to see if would work when I was behind but still in peripheral view). It worked! He does seem a little pokey/tired so i’ll practice this move a bit once it cools off. Thx!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)