Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 551 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #65156
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    OMG…I just never can stay in my own lane. Migrating all over. So, ideally I don’t pass the wing edge on a FC wrap, correct? If I’m moving towards the bar she should rear cross. Poor Sprite!

    It’s hot again here, but maybe I can set something Thursday. Back out of town to the cool weather for a competition Fri, Sat and Sun.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #65109
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    I played a little in the yard. Pulled her off twice! Am I waiting too long to see if she puts in the collection stride? I feel like I’m late waiting for collection, but if I move she will ignore the cue.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #65054
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    lol. Yep..it was a bad turn. But, she doesn’t do heat well, do I didn’t try again. I probably should have.

    I’ll see what I can set later this week. It’s heating up and we have a trial Fri, Sat and Sun.

    I’m really trying with the arm back and connection. But, it’s not easy! Haha. I’m not sure I’ve pulled Sprite off a jump. That’ll be my goal….

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #65042
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hey Tracy,

    I set the warm up connection exercises. Each was only done once except the tunnel exit. It looked really wide to me in real time, but it was an excellent turn. My tunnel is 20 ft so I have to adjust the jumps somewhat.

    The FC at 5 was terrible. I felt like I was there and on time, but Sprite turned really wide and then wasn’t really on the line to 6 which created another wide turn. I chose not to repeat it since there were 2 more sequences and it’s going to be another week with temps over 100. Sigh.

    What can I do better to help her. My guess is I didn’t slow down enough.

    P.s. I still have pop outs from the 3 rd release. But, is package 3 a 10 ft tunnel? I only have a 20 ft tunnel.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #64863
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Connection! Connection! I need more connection!

    In exercise 3 where was I supposed to be? I thought lateral off the jump and not facing forward should cue a turn and not the tunnel. Should I have been closer to the turning jump?

    So, today I set the go on sequence. I was pretty sure she’d do well. We did so many sit stays yesterday, so I didn’t make her stay today.

    On the sequence I was in the wrong spot the first rep and got a nice threadle wrap on the incorrect jump that I didn’t mean to cue. I totally missed the fact that she came around the second jump on the next rep as I was busy doing the BC. Saw it on the video. We didn’t redo any of these. The ground was very uneven and had holes and my footing didn’t seem too secure. So, this is what we did.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #64793
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,

    We finally have a nice day! Unfortunately, we struggled with all of these exercises. I never cleanly got the backside of 5 in exercise one even after taking out a clutter jump. I moved on as Sprite started to get tired.

    Then, I struggled to get turns to jumps when tunnels were visible. The jump to tunnel was easy in exercise 3, but the rest was not. I just don’t seem to be able to cue turns if a tunnel is around. Pretty discouraging.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #64725
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    We had just finished our walk and filmed this. It’s already in the low 80s at 8 am, so I did not use the pre placed toy as you suggested. I will later.

    I *think* it is my feet, connection and she’s too close to my side. I am trying to use my inside leg for the RC slice. But, if she’s too close to me she’s picked her line before I step. And, am I supposed to be looking at her? That’s inconsistent. This is hard! She’s very unsure about the wrap.

    P.s. it looks like the live and the most recent hot topics requires 6 jumps and a tunnel. I can’t get all of that in my cat. 5 jumps maximum. Should I just try one of the pop outs? Saturday might only be in the 80s.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #64702
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hey Tracy,

    It’s really hot again. I tried this, that and the other and Sprite is NOT understanding the RC with one step. She defaults to the backside. If I follow through with another step then she might get it. I’ll try to film later when/if it cools down.

    I’m happy to try to plot a handler path, but I don’t think I can upload a photo to this site or a pdf. Is there a way to do that?

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #64680
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    So, I’m thinking of playing around with her entrance. I watched Dudley and Jammy and she takes the leash off early. Jammy moves with her and dances around a bit. I thought I might try that. However, this leash is an issue. It shouldn’t be hard to take off, but it’s getting twisted. Where did you get your quick release leash? I had one before from clean run that was great, but they don’t make that one anymore.

    DA is definitely associated with smooth movement. Parkinson’s disease is treated with DA agonists. But, it’s interesting about movement and self regulation. I feel like we are starting to build conflict so I need to change something. She is typically good about staying and performing once she sits. I have done one day of UKI previously, but only speedstakes for her. However, many commented that these courses had tight spacing for UKI. I’ve no reference so I’m not sure.

    Yes, when I watched the video after the standard run I saw that she released with the reconnection. I’ll definitely be getter about that and contact release. We are back to 104-107 so doubtful there will be class this week.

    I need help picking running lines. Lots of people got in a blind cross and I choose the rear cross as I don’t trust myself and I really do NOT want to get taken out. Would she check her speed and avoid me? I’m not so sure. My knee is finally feeling better with a torn meniscus and I’m trying to avoid surgery. But, my comfort was RC with Gemma and I need to try to push myself to pick better strategies with Sprite. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to pick my best running line. There seems to be a pattern of running curves.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #64669
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hey Tracy,

    Day 2. I apparently have a RC problem. Lots of great stuff. Sprite left the start line in standard. So, I reset her. I chickened out on getting a cross before the DW and didn’t plan to run with DW on the left.

    This was my first gamblers. I had no idea how many obstacles she could do. But, I timed it well. I opted on crossing the line since it was our first time. She won the class!

    I was late again on the RC and got an impressive backside wrap off course. Many, many dogs pulled off the tunnel at the end. I said go on, but not tunnel. That surprised me. But, I saw it happen a lot after we ran.

    I was trying to get out to cross in speedstakes and sent her impressively across the field to another tunnel.

    Overall, she did great. Going in the ring is still a problem. She’s not focusing on me and dancing around back and forth. It’s hard to get her leash off either the movement back and forth.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #64654
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Thanks Tracy. Sprite’s paw seems better. It’ll be well over 100 again next week at home, so I’m uploading today’s UKI. My goal was one run without an E. Took until the third run!

    I knew I’d have issues in SS as the second jump after the tunnel was offset and I was behind. I didn’t trust that I could FC before the tunnel, but the RC put me too far behind.

    Jumpers I was super happy either her weaves. That’s a hard entrance for her. Danika thinks I caused the first bar by yelling go on. I’m not sure why she turned the wrong way on the RC. It’s an issue with her. Gemma read them well, but I’m doing something wrong as Sprite isn’t reading them. I tried to save it, but she back jumped.

    Standard I’m not sure where she was going at the end. That left turn seemed obvious. Maybe she had tunnel on her mind? But, she won that class.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #64549
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Oh…I like this, that and the other. I’m not sure I’ve been taught the inside leg for the sharp RC. But, I do think it would help differentiate the turns.

    Sprite hasn’t used powerflex before. The termite might try to eat it! Is there video on how to wrap pads? I’m sure I can google it. Pad is looking better, but no walking or activities for a few days. Sprite says that is stupid.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #64465
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hey Tracy,

    Unfortunately, I found a blister on Sprite’s pad. Boohoo. Probably the ridiculous heat here. I’m careful with walks, but she does have to step a bit on cement to get to the bark potty yard. Hopefully, we can still go this coming weekend, but I’ll have to see. Sigh. Of course, the weather is a little better still.

    Pop out 1: I felt like I needed to serp to a blind on the line from 6 to 7. So, I should blind earlier and pick a better running line? I see a theme with my shoulder not being back enough on the threadles.

    Haha, the first opening I just messed up. I’d freak if I was supposed to get that as a threadle to 3. It was impressive!

    Pop out 2: yes, I was trying to get a right turn for 4-5-6. The wrap was an error, but I just kept running because that’s a useful skill and it happens!

    The spin at 9 makes sense. Post turns aren’t my friend, but I use them occasionally.

    The visual for wrap versus backside slice is helpful. Intellectually I understand it. But, my feet don’t always cooperate. Maybe I’ll play in my backyard with just me while Sprite heals.

    Pop out 3: haha, you are funny thinking the threadle wraps are getting comfy. I’m working on it.

    I’m super bummed about her pad….

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #64446
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,

    The weather is cooperating today! I was going to set up the live sequences since they are more in my comfort zone. But, I decided to challenge myself and put up the jumping pop outs with real distance.

    I forgot to try the leadout to threadle in sequence one. It’s not something I would normally try. I’m not sure if I set the jumps wrong, but I had a little trouble getting 3. I was in her way. The backside push to 6 to the blind threadle worked really well. That didn’t come to me staring at the maps.

    Sequence 2 I struggled with jump 11 since you said not to wrap it. I’m still not sure why you can’t? I am BAD at whiskey crosses and tend to get a wrap rather than a slice. You can see that in one of the reps. The back lap didn’t work as it was poorly executed. I finally got a whiskey cross. Unfortunately, I forgot to try the threadle slice. After I’d taken a break, filmed sequence 3 and broke down the tunnel I remembered. It’s just in isolation, but I wish I would have tried it as it seemed to work well.

    Sequence 3. Have I mentioned that threadles scare me? I’m better, but still not great. I managed to get the threadle wrap, but then got another one rather than the slice at jump 7 before the tunnel. These were hard for me. Sprite was hot and tired by the third sequence, so I stopped.

    What would you recommend next assuming I can get to the park this week? The live layering or standard pop outs? I’m still on the second release. We have a UKI trial this weekend so I’m inclined to pick layering. But, I’ll probably see layering and threadles. Oh my! We are just in beginning though. I’ve only done one UKI trial with her and I think we E’d all runs. Oops!

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite ( 3 yr old Aussie) #64354
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,

    Since I can’t set up I’ve been looking/ obsessing over the pop out jumping courses. But, I’m struggling to figure out how I’d handle it.

    Jumping popout one:
    I think I can do 1 through 5. But, starting DOL and stand towards 2 to push to the back side and then blind cross? I’m not sure I could leadout to the takeoff side of 2 and have her take one. Looking at 5-8 what seems to make the most sense is threadle slice 5-6 with DOR and turn 6 left which sets up 7-9 better. Is that reasonable assuming I could do it?

    Jumping popout 2:

    I’m not sure what to do 8-12. It would be DOL coming out of the tunnel. But, I’m not sure what to do to control the turn at 10 to get to 11 for a wrap. I guess I could try to threadle slice 11, but since I’m trying to turn at 10 I don’t know how to get up there for that. It’s very likely I’d get the off course at 2 after 10. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be fast enough to get to the landing side of 8. So, if you send to 8 DOL and serp 9 to a blind, then what do you do at 10. Multiple turns in a row are not my strength.

    I can maybe put three jumps in my yard and play with it. This all seems very hard for me.

    The good news is it’ll be just under 100 today. But, we have humidity which isn’t typical so it will seem hotter. We’ve had 20 days over 100 so far this summer, 10 over 105 and 4 over 110. Joy joy.

    Well, I’m bored so I tried to set something up in the yard that’s pieces. Very tight spacing. Here are snippets. The threadle slide on the take off side didn’t work well. It certainly might have been the build.

    I also could not get a threadle slice in popout 2. She understands the reverse wrap cue.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 551 total)