Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Ginger McMullen
ParticipantIt’s still 109 around here. Tomorrow it’s supposed to drop into the high 90s for a few days before going over a hundred again. I’m not sure we will get to do much of the exercises since I have to haul and set up at the park. It’s been an unusually hot summer.
-
This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by
Ginger McMullen.
Ginger McMullen
ParticipantOk, I can build a double with two jumps. I think the bar distance is 10 in for a 20 in jumping dog.
No, she’s still in open JWW, but excellent standard. I agree her brain was probably gone. Plus, I’m still trying to figure out the best lead out since I have one. It was an awkward opening. I agree that I just want out of open. The corses are often harder than masters. More importantly it’s always at the end of the day and there isn’t much time between classes before running again. One more leg!
I tried the exercise Stefanie gave us with the jump and klimb. Sprite couldn’t figure out all 4 paws on a disc, so I ended up using a balance pad. I’ll work that separately as she has a great tucked sit. This exercise was HARD for her. You could see her brain trying to figure out how to go up! I only did 5 on each side, but she figured it out. I’m not sure about the spacing. Is there a picture somewhere? I couldn’t remember how far over the Klimb was.
Ginger McMullen
ParticipantHaha. What is a UKI style double? I’ve entered our first UKI trial in 2 weeks. Yes, I watched the video and I can see why she went straight in the standard run. Working lateral distance off the weaves while she stays in is on the list of training opportunities. Still more heat for the next week.
She actually qualified in that open run. You can have one wrong course. So, today she had her first excellent standard run. Unfortunately, I don’t have video. Nice contacts, a lovely difficult weave entry and no dropping the first bar! We got a wrong course and she bypassed a jump, but I just kept
running like she was correct.I messed up the lead out in jumpers. She came around the second jump and I tried to reset her. But, then she just went feral and ran on a line half wah across the ring. It was a hot mess.
-
This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by
Ginger McMullen.
Ginger McMullen
ParticipantHi Tracy,
We left town to escape the 112 degree heat. It’s oppressive. Here is JWW and standard. She didn’t see the weaves by the tunnel. I’m not sure what caused the dropped first bar other than it was a double.
She turned the wrong way on the second to last jump in standard. I thought for sure she’d go grab that tunnel. We still are struggling with rear crosses. That shouldn’t have been hard for her…but, it was.
It’s doubtful I’ll be able to set anything up this week either. The heat needs to stop!
Ginger McMullen
Participant“And you decel and hold the cue and position until she turns her head to the line AND takes the first step in the new direction. The head turn only will get you a slice, so the first step is the real key that she is wrapping.”
I’m not entirely sure I understand this. She turns her head to the jump and steps toward the jump. She could step on a slice line as easily as a bendy wrap line. I feel like I need to be a little further forward to get the square up to the jump. Do you ever use the Cato plank to help square this up like we did with the backside wrap?
Also, I noticed in Stephanie’s presentation for the slice jump exercise she had the mat and disc at an angle and we had the Cato plank parallel to the bar. Great talk last night!
Ginger McMullen
ParticipantUnfortunately the heat wave is going to last well into next week. Ugh! I can train for a few minutes before 6:30 am. It’s already 78 degrees.
Ok, I’ll see if I can clean up my threadle slices. I see your point about a slight parallel path toward the bar versus straight forward.
Today we tried the wraps, but before your feedback. Sprite is not a bendy dog. I’m not sure how far lateral and how far forward of the wing to be. She still tends to jump on a slice, but I’m not entirely sure that she can round.
Ginger McMullen
ParticipantHi Tracy,
It’s already 78 degrees at 6:15 am. So, a short skill session is all I’ll be able to do. Threadles are NOT my best skill. Remind me where to look. Am I looking at her eyes or my hand?
Bars are at 14, I’ve no idea which side is better for her as it seems to change. Spacing is tight. Also, my movement seems to through her off.
Tomorrow we can try the wrap which is even harder for us.
Ginger McMullen
ParticipantI MAY have muttered dammit at the end of the run as well. Not at her, but at me! I think I said right….but Sprite and right sound the same and I really don’t want to change my directional as I can remember direction.
I’m not sure what she was looking at. But, the back and forth behind me lining up isn’t new. She definitely likes to do that. It’s like her pre run routine. But, sometimes I just have to put my hand in her collar to stop it.
Ginger McMullen
ParticipantSince I won’t have anything else for awhile I’ll post yesterdays JWW. So nice…until I used too much brake arm. I was in no mans land. Couldn’t get a cross in and didn’t drive deep enough to do a correct rear cross. I tried to save it, but I couldn’t. So close once again. Temps there in the mid 70s. So much nicer!
She was definitely distracted going in. There are 4 rings at this trial and a practice ring. USDAA on one side and AKC on the other. It was my first time here. There’s another trial this weekend, but only one judge and just AKC. Unfortunately, I’m on call for jury duty so I didn’t enter.
Ginger McMullen
ParticipantThanks Tracy!
Yes I am entered. Doubt I’ll do any of your class next week. Temps 110-113 and the low 70s. It’ll likely be too hot to go to the park. But, I’ll see.
Ginger McMullen
ParticipantHi Tracy,
Did I cause the first bar? I felt connected and patient. Sprite is still hot going in the ring. Maybe I set her too far back? I was really proud of the rest of this run.
Ginger McMullen
ParticipantHi Tracy,
I’m trying not to push her too much at the start line as line ups are hard for her. But, I agree, it would be better if she lined up exactly by my side. However, she seems to be doing pretty well with the lateral lead outs!
So, Sprite is a hands in the face type for the brake arms? That was one of my many questions from last night. Thanks for answering the multitude of questions!
Ginger McMullen
ParticipantIt’s so interesting that it’s left to right as we both thought right was her better turning side. But, maybe not. I’ll play with it more next week, but it’s supposed to be 103-108 so maybe not.
Hmm. Should have looked at the course maps. I made it much harder for my self starting on the wrong jump. Oopsie!
Here is the brake are exercises. We had the most problem with the first one. I set her on a slice which got the back side of 3 as I didn’t control the turn from 2 to 3. Then, I had trouble layering the middle jump that was so conveniently in the way. We ultimately got it. Last one wasn’t a great turn from 5 to 6 but I moved on. I’ve only the one dog now and there’s less down time between turns. You can see she was getting tired and/or hot towards the end. But, you see every rep I did.
I’m still not sure I’m seeing the collection and leaving correctly. It’ll take some time to figure that out. She was amazing! I even did the post turn. I tried to spin it in my walk through, but caught myself. It’ll be better to get up field if I figure it out. Is it sort of a split step?
-
This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by
Ginger McMullen.
-
This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by
Ginger McMullen.
-
This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by
Ginger McMullen.
Ginger McMullen
ParticipantHi Tracy,
I have a quick question on the zigzag grid. Sprite consistently adds an extra stride jumping left to right. I started with the harder side. I softened the angle after the easier side and she still added the stride do I stopped. I’m not sure what to do to grow this skill. Bar is 8 in.
Ginger McMullen
ParticipantHi Tracy,
Yep, as she got hotter she was less likely to look at the first jump. It might be a tell. Plus, where do I look? Am I supposed to be connecting to her eyes like usual or do I stare at the jump? I felt like we were both staring at each other. What’s the plan for indoors? Just a food bowl loaded?
I didn’t think about the slice line in sequence one. The off course jump seemed likely if I turned her to the left rather than right on jump 5. But, the wrap to the backside to the backside was a lot! She was pretty slow on sequence 3 with all of the turns. There was no where for me to go and it was a bit demotivating I think. It’s like the AKC pinwheels to nowhere! So good practice.
Yes, I did sequence 2 last as I don’t have room for the extra jump. I just used the cone to help set the line correct to 4. Yep, I wanted her to turn the other way on the first attempt. But…she didn’t so I just saved it. Because…that happens. I wasn’t really sure what the best way to handle that turn, I thought about a tandem or double lap. But, I couldn’t figure out how do get me in a position to do it after the spin. Multiple moves in a row are not my strong suit.
I actually have a cooling coat in my refrigerator somewhere. The issue is I cannot leave anything on her unattended. It’s possible that she’s better now, but Sprite has ingested things off of her body on more than one occasion. Not just shredded it. She actually eats it requiring ER visits to induce vomiting.
The good news is I have a trial this weekend that my friends talked me into. It is 3 ish hours away and near the coast with highs expected in the 60s to low 70s. However, both of her agility classes were canceled this week which is unfortunate. So, no weave or contact practice beforehand.
I thought about lowering the bars, but I didn’t…obviously.
Thanks!
-
This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by
Ginger McMullen.
-
This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by
-
AuthorPosts