Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 551 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (Aussie)- working #45750
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie,

    I went to the park and did the 1-2-3 game, super bowls and the pattern feed game. Did you want one 3 min video a week or multiple smaller clips of not more than 3 minutes in total? I wasn’t sure so I combined them. Also, does each new week start on Monday?

    I only brought two bowls as I was using a game for Gemma. We were tripping a bit on the leash with turning back so much. But, I’ll get my act together.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (Aussie)- working #45722
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie,

    Yes, I can do Monday at 3 EST. Since we didn’t get to meet last night what would you like us to focus on this week?

    The video was from Oct when I started to heal and just before I pulled my calf again. But, I just got released to try some running!

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (Aussie)- working #45451
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie,

    Most of Sprite’s training has been online. I’ll include some training clips at the park. She’s able to train there now. If it ever stops raining and flooding in CA, then she’ll be joining a Wed night class before Gemma’s class. Unfortunately, that means I’ll miss most of the Wed night chats.

    I’m assuming your time availability is EST? My best 1:1 time would be the Sat 3-5 EST options. Mon at 2:30 EST could work. I might need to move some appts depending on the week our training falls.

    Sprite is in a Tues foundation class that hasn’t meet for almost 2 months due to weather. Although she can watch Gemma on a cot quietly, she struggles to stay quiet in her crate there. Mostly it’s whining or a high pitched chirp due to excitement. But, I’d like to work on that before it gets worse. There isn’t an option to crate in the car for that class.

    Here are a few training clips at the park and tugging outside an agility trial. Toy play can be fragile for Sprite.

    Thank you!

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite #42817
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,

    I like the idea of rotating the jump so she sees it. Plus, 3-4 was hard for her. In this sequence getting 3 the off arm is my left since she was on my right out of the tunnel. But, getting 3-4 the off arm would be my right arm as she is now on my left? The off arm to get a lead change or out is new to me and one of my instructors just shook her head on Thursday when I used it for an out in class. But, it worked! She asked me if I really meant to do that. Yes, yes I did.

    I might just set the 3 jumps up and send her around a cone for the “ tunnel.” I don’t have yard space for this set up at home.

    Yes, I agree this is all new to her and to be expected.

    Plus, like I said we’ve been doing threadle training as it’s a particular weakness for me. Once she gets the concept I need either or to be sure sh3 understands not to come in unless I ask her.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite #42802
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,

    Great job at the US Open. Those were some difficult courses.

    We tried the distance sequences and I need help. What do I need to do with my arms and shoulders? Sprite got the first out jump. But, then wasn’t staying on the line to 4. If I got 4 she skipped 5. We’ve been working on threadles a lot, so that may be part of it. But, she didn’t understand the line from 3-4 or 4-5. I’m nit moving much, but I can’t with my calf pull. The first straight forward send she did fine.

    I think I was turning my shoulders getting a turn off of 3? It wasn’t easy for Team Sprite although Gemma got it!

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite #42605
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Yes, that might definitely help me. I can try to do the set with the “dogwalk” restriction. It’s supposed to rain this week, but maybe later in the week. But, I’m not supposed to run to show that line anyway.

    Thanks Tracy! Whatever works for you is fine. I just wanted to let you know why I’m not posting like usual. I think I’m better and then try to run…and I’m not.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite #42598
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    It was the episode where Kate marries Philip and Rebecca is supposed to sing a song. She struggles due to the dementia, but then remembers. They added the words to the theme song melody.

    So, my calf is not cooperating and healing quickly. Therefore, I cannot really run. When’s the last day of this class?

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite #42417
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    The song is “The Forever Now” from a TV show called This is Us. It’s beautiful. Here’s a link of you are interested.

    https://youtu.be/upvDLIG6FWY

    I was watching my videos and I think I need to be tucked into the wing on the backside wrap. I was pretty far off the line. But, I was really pleased with Sprite.

    I think the threadle wrap is technically a flick, correct? I’ll play with hand shaking to get her attention and having it lower. Then decide which hand to use. Yes, I think the turn away and then back will be helpful. Also, I need to decel and not be ahead of the jump wing. I’ll work on that. We haven’t really done this one much. Rain for a few days, but I’m excited to try the tunnel challenges.

    I sent Gemma 30 ft from a jump to the weaves the other day. She nailed entrances on both sides. Sprite just started 12 in line. I’ll leave that skill once she’s more confident.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #42395
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie,

    I know it’s the last day, but I think you missed my last post. See above.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite #42393
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for talking me down.

    Lyrics from one of my favorite songs:

    I’ve been searching for words
    For feelings that shouldn’t be spoken.
    It’s something I do.
    I’m starting to learn
    Some silences shouldn’t be spoken.
    Just listened to.

    I’ll try to remember that when I get unsolicited negative comments.

    It’s supposed to rain the next few days. So…Sprite had to put her big girl paws on and go to the park. Lots of distractions and no fencing. She didn’t run off and chase geese!

    I definitely need help with the threadle wrap. I couldn’t decide which hand to use and where to be in space. Sprite is scoping out jumps…. I switched tasks to help me be successful and then went back.

    The slice lines were much easier for me. Look how far ahead I am and I’m fast walking!

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite #42352
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Tracy,

    We did exercise one today. I can’t really run yet and I forgot about the backside. I think Sprite did best with the throw back. But, it was the last one we did. No issues jumping away from the course. I was surprised about the point at the jump with foot forward. We’ve never done that before. She said… got it Mama! We didn’t try the around as it’s not trained, but middle is. So, going around and ending up between my legs didn’t seem helpful!

    Slices were fine. We’ve forgotten about threadles and I dislike them as I never seem to get it right. After a break I used food bowls to help her. But, I’m walking backwards which needs to stop. I’m pretty sure my position and feet aren’t ideal. They should be towards the new line. I’ll have to go find that and review.

    Also, I have a friend who constantly tells me Sprite has classic ETO symptoms when she watches our videos. So, it’s getting in my head. Are you seeing anything concerning? She could pick closer takeoff spots when running a straight line. I’m still mostly jumping her at 16 in. I think it’s a young dog figuring things out.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #42351
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie,

    Thanks so much for a great course. It definitely feels like there could be part two! Let us know what opportunities might be available. I’d be interested in a few privates with you to help set up a plan for Gemma. Sprite seems to be coming along and it will just take time.

    We tried impulse control/arousal layering at the agility field. Sprite did well. Do you allow a slightly lowering criteria for the touch accuracy at first? A drive by wouldn’t count, but if the touch is lighter or off center? I am asking more for Gemma. However, I thought they would be fine to start. If they can’t do it you just back the distance from the distraction, correct? We also started with treat pattern, but you don’t need to see that.

    Sprite was having issues with threadles as I’m not good mechanically with them. So, I added in bowls to help her and showed that.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #42112
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie,

    How does the behavior vet referral work? It would be Gemma. I’m in Sacramento, CA. I know UCDavis has a department. However, I have to drug Gemma to go to a vet and I don’t think she’d tolerate a student evaluation followed by an attending. Ideally it would be someone in private practice. I haven’t asked my vet about another drug or a lower dose of fluoxetine. She did well on it years ago.

    I had to take Sprite to the park for a jump grid. There were people out fling tai chi at first. Plus, there are school noises, but I doubt you hear them on video. We did pattern games prior to the grid. Then, after working I did the RC. This is her first time in the park for that. It’s the last 90 seconds. Really good overall, but not relaxed like home!

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41917
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Thanks Bobbie!

    Sprite is so so with toys so I’m liking her leash tugging. This particular leash is fleece. I honestly don’t think she’d tug if she was too stressed unlike my older dog. Food is preferred to toys for her. She’d avoid toys much sooner and continue to eat if over aroused.

    Here is Super Bowls in the agility field. It’s just us today.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41889
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie,

    We were outside the dog park today. There are dogs in the background running behind the fence. Plus, a lady was walking a small dog on the other lawn. This was hard for Sprite, but she’s getting the idea.

    I also showed a brief tug and relaxation at the end. The circle work needs mire time and exposure to many places.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 551 total)