Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 551 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41846
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie,

    I had the training yard with my friend today. Her dog was out chasing a ball, but then she found my snuffle mat! Lol

    Sprite was much better today with the game. She’s still distracted, but bouncing back to me faster! I’ll work on the super bowls and might hit the dog park tomorrow.

    On the game where you play and then do relaxation on the mat you are still feeding, correct? Also, it sounds like only two reps if it’s 10 min total. Am I understanding that correctly? Each play followed by rest would be about 5 minutes.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41808
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie!

    Thank you. I just found both of her agility classes for this coming week were canceled. But, I do have the training yard tomorrow with my friend.

    A new issue is cropping up that I have with my older dog. When I grab my tripod Sprite starts whining. Gemma starts barking in excitement. I’m trying food scatters, but that only stops it for the short amount of time it takes to scarf up the food. I’m happy they are excited to work, but I can see Sprite starting to spin up. I need to set up the environment before bringing her out which includes the tripod and iPad.

    We tried Super Bowls with actual plastic bowls, but both dogs were tripping over them. So, I used my round disc markers which seems better. This is our first time out front. There’s a lady talking on the phone walking by. I didn’t see any dogs out.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41740
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie,

    Ok, great! I thought she was doing well with the RC. I’ll keep working on it a few times a week.

    This is from class today. The rocks made it hard for her to find the treats. A dog was out working. She’s also struggling to settle in a crate in this environment. So, I had the door open and was just feeding her. She had a great class today. The other two dogs there today are pretty calm. Two dogs were absent which made it easier. Those two have different energy. One is a high energy barking Aussie and the other absent dog is a nervous mini poodle. So, it was a great day to practice with the easier two there today.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41687
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    So when you are dropping treats by each foot you still need to swing the arms more? I’ll try that tomorrow at her class.

    Here’s the end of RC from last night. But, I thought I was supposed to be capturing more relaxed. So, I’ll increase the ROR. It’s hard if I’m actually watching something to keep it at every 5-7 seconds.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41609
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie,

    I’m a little confused about RC and step 4. It says to only give treats for the relaxed behavior. But, it sounds like you still want continuous food. Is that correct? My question wasn’t about withholding food. The instructions sound like we are supposed to select certain behavior to feed.

    I tried to film at class today. Unfortunately, the plastic chair was in the way for our working session. I propped the iPad on top of her crate. But, this is pattern game and practicing chilling out while another dog is out working. I got a clue and moved the chair!

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41570
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie,

    I can see if someone can tape us at class. Do you want working time or down time?

    There is a dog park that we can go to. Even on walks she tends to stare at dogs. No barking or lunging, but she’s not neutral to them.

    Here is the end of relaxation. I’m still just randomly giving food. Do I want to withhold now until I see head down or a hip flip? The second I move my hand to feed her head comes back up.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41542
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    We mostly train alone and at home. I train with this friend periodically, but Sprite is usually in her crate out of sight. She’s in an agility class now and struggles when other dogs are out. It’s not easy for her to think in that environment. She also struggles in her crate in class. At home she can lie on a cot while I work Gemma

    Later in the day we went to the park. If you look carefully there is a cat chilling under the tree. The kids across the street are playing with a hose in their yard. Then, there are ducks and geese, but they weren’t too visible this trip.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41532
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Something is going on. Sorry, I can’t post the video. Very odd

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41530
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41529
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    The video wouldn’t post for some reason. Try two

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41526
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie,

    I shared the training yard with a friend today. Sprite was definitely too aroused, so she struggled with the games. We then just practiced team chill while she watched. Later we went to a park which I’ll show later. She was better there as the distractions were more noise and not dogs running.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41495
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Ok, that makes more sense. I do have a question about the relaxation training. We were working on they when my home phone rang. I only answer if it’s my Mom. Everyone else knows to call my cell. It wasn’t Mom, but Sprite got up and went to lie in her dog bed. Do you let them be done or call her back? It wasn’t 10 min yet. I didn’t move or answer the phone.

    I’m trying to add shadow handling and the pattern games to training. Hopefully, I’ll get to a park this weekend. Is this a right idea to start with? I had her do the snuffle mat earlier after several reps of the weaves.

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41460
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    I am using her meal for the relaxation. But, you didn’t comment on what you saw in the video. I feel like she’s just watching my hands waiting for the treat to drop. What’s the next step for relaxation? I’m unclear what I’m really supposed to reward especially if I’m not looking at her. It’s confusing to me.

    The prior question was for the shadow handling as you said I wasn’t rewarding enough. How often do I need to reward in that exercise?

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41391
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie,

    How often do you want the reward? We are using a ton of food for this class and I need to watch the volume. So, how much builds the resilience?

    Here is the last minute of relaxation from last night. Gemma is on her cot. Otherwise, she’d be barking in another room and you can hear it everywhere in the house. That relaxes no one!

    in reply to: Ginger and Sprite (20 month Aussie) working student #41302
    Ginger McMullen
    Participant

    Hi Bobbie,

    She’s not sequencing in class. I’ll see what’s set up when I have the yard on Sunday. We played around with shadow handling. We’ve not really done much circle work, but I know it’s important. Here’s our first attempt. Inside circles are much harder.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 551 total)