Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterWelcome to you and Fix!!! I love terriers, as you know of course π
>Heβll be a year old when class starts but heβs still pretty immature.>
It is a great age to do this – young enough that he is a total sponge and learn fast, and old enough that he will learn it really fast π
> He is not very good at driving forward so Iβve been working that a bit with him. Iβm looking forward to help, because I donβt want to work so much driving forward that he forgets to have some handler focus too. >
It is this balance that we begin working on in week 1!
Have fun!
Tracy
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterHello and welcome! I am so excited for you and I am looking forward to hearing more about baby Gruit!!! How does my buddy Brewski like him so far? I bet they will end up being BFFs π
Tracy
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterWelcome to you and… artist to be named later π I am VERY excited to meet your new pup!!!!!!!
Tracy
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterHello and welcome to you and Smartie! He is adorable π§‘.
Training a different size of dog is fun! How tall do you think Smartie will end up being?Have fun!
Tracy
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterHello and welcome! Charley is adorable π We will totally be focusing on developing the right balance of handler focus and independence. Have fun!!!
Tracy
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterWelcome to you and Cairo!!! She is at such a great age π I am excited to learn more about her!!
Have fun π
Tracy
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterHello and welcome! I miss my annual Winnipeg adventures – it is great to see you here! I love that she is related to Beka, Rayven, and Ziva and I REALLY love that she is opinionated LOL! Fun!!!!
Tracy
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterHello and welcome! This is good timing – she seems well on the way to resolving the darned bee issue and she is ready to learn all the things! I am looking forward to getting to know here!!!
Tracy
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterHello and welcome to you and Paisley! I am excited that we have 2 Bostons in the class π So fun! They are fantastic dogs π
Have fun!
Tracy
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterWelcome to you and baby Krush! He is already off to a great start and I am excited that he will get to play agility games π I will be in your area in December, maybe I will get to see him in person!
Tracy
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterWelcome!!!! I am excited to see the one and only OMG! She is adorable π She is a BWHAP, yes? BorderWhippet x Papillon? One of the demo dogs (Elektra) is that same mix. I enjoy the sighthound element and I am looking forward to learning more about Omg π
Tracy
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterWelcome to you and Shea!! Whippets rule! There are plenty of whippet demo videos, thanks to Ramen. I am excited to hear more about Shea and to get your updates π
Tracy
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterHello and welcome! I am excited to get started π I feel like I know Reese already! It will be fun to see her work through these games!
Tracy
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterHi!
>Maybe I should just run with no verbals for a bit?>
I think that might be too weird for her, for you to be suddenly silent? So happy verbals only!
>Yesterday, we did FEO runs at an AKC trial. She continued to visit. Not sure if it was an impulse control thing or stress thing or a combo of both. The regular AKC courses werenβt particularly hard.>
When you do FEO – does she play with a toy in the ring? Her struggles are stress, not impulse control. The visiting in a displacement for the stress, and it doesn’t matter if the course is hard or not – just being in the ring is hard.
>Do you suggest that I just do 2-4 obstacles at a trial then leave to PARTY?>
Nope – too much stress just going into the ring right now. You are skipping steps in the Get Luna Un-Stressed Progression π We want multiple happy, fast, engaged runs with the first FEO step, with a toy in your hand. And playing with the toy in the ring. That is what she needs right now: just playing in the ring. If she needs the toy to be thrown, stick to UKI NFC because you can’t throw the toy in AKC. And resist the temptation to do real runs – you are getting a lot of stress behavior and it gets harder to get the stress behavior to go away the more it happens. After you get lots of happy engaged stress-free runs with the toy visible, the next step is the toy in a pocket and pulled out to reward in the ring after a few obstacles. When she has done multiple happy fast engaged runs… then you can do the in-and-out where you do a couple of obstacles and leave. But she is not ready for that quite yet.
And what I would do on the FEO/NFC runs for her is NOT start at the start line. Start in the middle of the course somewhere, and do the middle to the end. Take the start line out of the picture entirely as you de-stress that transition.
If she doesn’t play with a toy in the ring, then we need to change how her transition into trials and FEO is approached: she needs to be really great at remote reinforcement with food, first in classes then at trials.
Also, be sure she has had a check with a sports vet for pain issues – she was sitting a bit hunched in her rear at the start on this video then took a few steps to engage her left hind when you started moving. If something hurts, that might be the cause of the stress!
Tracy
Tracy Sklenar
KeymasterGood morning!
These went well:
PO 1:
The opening looked great! He was feeling very spicy an fast π
He found the lines beautifully and the blind cross after the tunnel looked great. The small decel at 5 to get a nice turn to 6 worked really well too!You were actually a shade early on the blind at 6: as he exited the wrap wing of 5 at :10, you were already looking ahead/pointing ahead, so from his perspective the blind had started and he didnβt get a cue to take 6.
2nd run – he picked up the backside of 3 because the turn was late to get the front side – a :04 you turned a couple of strides before he took off for 2, so he landed looking at 3.
At :16, you did not turn as much or as early, so it looked like more of a serp to the backside of 3. At :16 you turned a lot earlier (like you did at :04) and he got the correct side of 3.
For the blind at 6 – this time it was late π at :29 – you waited until he took off, so the turn was wide. To get the ideal blind: keep your arm back to his nose and you eyes on his eyes as he exits the 5 jump wing. When you see him exit the wing and look at 6, that is when you can start the blind so he can adjust the line before takeoff.
Th 2nd pop out looks great! I bet you can do a blind while he is on the a-frame to do a push wrap on the backs at 6 – that might be faster because there will be more momentum off the a-frame for it.
The 3rd pop out also went really well! The opening looked smooth and fast π
>feel my arms could be doing something better at 6 to 7. Probably tighter to my body?>
You got there easily because he had a lovely send to the 5 tunnel. The arms came up because you were sending, but that actually slowed him down because he had to check for connection. You can run in closer to 6 and 7 with low arms, which will maintain the speed and youβll still easily get the blind 7-8. If you feel like he goes wide at 6, you can run in closer and use both arms (brake arms) low to get the turn tighter and keep the speed up.
>I have not only acquired new skills and knowledge, but a stronger bond with Rexx as now I understand what he needs from me in order for us to succeed!>
This summer went FAST! It has been really fun watching you and Rexx – you are doing a great job applying the skills to be able to drive him around the courses!
Nice work here π β¨β¨
Tracy
-
AuthorPosts