Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 316 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Stark & Carol #10074
    Carol
    Participant

    Thank you very much for sharing those links with me about shaping a retrieve and races to the toy!!

    We have done a couple sessions of shaping a retrieve. He has grasped the concept of picking up the toy.
    He wants to naturally step back and throw the toy in the air over his head (silly boy).

    So, now how to figure out how to shape him to come forward and put it in my hand.

    Here is a snip of the last part of our last session. In this session I was looking for him to show interest or get close to dropping the toy in or near my hand. With me reaching out to try to catch the toy.

    Looking for suggestions on how to get him to understand to bring the toy to my actual hand.

    in reply to: Stark & Carol #9997
    Carol
    Participant

    I took your suggestion and put my the games in a bowl for me to draw and do one every afternoon at lunch. Maybe I’ll do one in the evenings as well. ๐Ÿ™‚ The white pieces of paper are the AU games. The pink pieces of paper are things to do with Stark in the mornings before or while I am having coffee and waking up, like sits and downs, perch work, plank work, etc.
    slack asses first drawing ๐Ÿ˜‰ – https://youtu.be/WkEksfq58gY

    We got stuff done before the rain came. Yay!!!

    Send, BC, and Go Go Go – https://youtu.be/Ti5OYj6JOp0
    I think we did much better on this game today than we did the last time. I spent some time on your feedback and a lot clicked with me. I think I was just tyring way to hard. What I noticed on this and some of the other games today is that he wasn’t always diving for the toy. So at the end of this game I just did a toss and send to the toy.
    On the first rep of this game I forgot to feed him and it didn’t seem to matter and he dove to the toy. So maybe I stop feeding now and maybe that is why he didn’t dive to the toy?

    Okay, so I was outside and decided to do a few more games but keep them SUPER short. Literally just a couple reps on each side.

    Wing Wrap Foundations – https://youtu.be/2YX1fc5pERQ
    I bought 2 pop up laundry baskets as I guessed where this was headed. This was his first time seeing this basket and he really wasn’t phased. He missed the first time but I think I left way too early. Also notice he rather chase the momma then get the toy. Hmmmm….. didn’t you mention something about that??

    Tunnel threadle foundation – https://youtu.be/jZGQpB4ilhQ
    Wow, the light bulb came on for this game. He was like check! Got it!! His head was already turning to the tunnel before I said the word. I tried it with the toy already laying on the ground and he was not really interested in getting it. Then I tried tossing it and that was better. Since he was 100% correct with his entries, I started him further back on his stronger side on the last rep. BAM! no questions asked.

    suggestions on him being more interested in getting his dead toy? I’ll use his testicle toy next time.

    • This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Carol.
    in reply to: Stark & Carol #9963
    Carol
    Participant

    Hey there. Not sure if this post got lost in the mix or if you were waiting to reply. Posting again just in case.

    Games from Yesterday!

    Serpentine Lines Baby Level โ€“ https://youtu.be/ZQdwAkgiHz0

    Wrap and Go โ€“ https://youtu.be/8XZPUGTNAoM

    Baby Lap Turn โ€“ https://youtu.be/-9bCfFvlJdU

    For give if you meant to wait to respond but since you replied about the tunnel which was posted after this one, I wanted to check in.

    in reply to: Stark & Carol #9947
    Carol
    Participant

    Hi again!!!

    Here is our send to the tunnel with Stark turning away from me. This was SUPER hard for him. It took me a little while to figure out where he needed to be. We did this around 8:30 last night and I think he was a little frustrated and tired because this was a difficult task.
    I finally found a better spot for him to be successful.
    We will be doing more of this and now I know where to set him up to be more successful.

    in reply to: Stark & Carol #9946
    Carol
    Participant

    Games from Yesterday!

    Serpentine Lines Baby Level – https://youtu.be/ZQdwAkgiHz0

    Wrap and Go – https://youtu.be/8XZPUGTNAoM

    Baby Lap Turn – https://youtu.be/-9bCfFvlJdU

    in reply to: Stark & Carol #9901
    Carol
    Participant

    Tunnel Fun!!

    How much video time are we allowed to post in here weekly? Sorry, If I have over posted.
    I donโ€™t remember. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

    in reply to: Stark & Carol #9885
    Carol
    Participant

    Wing Commitment while Standing

    I love this brilliant puppy! โค๏ธ
    He is so much fun! But you know that first hand. ๐Ÿ™‚

    in reply to: Stark & Carol #9882
    Carol
    Participant

    Parallel Path & Counter Motion

    Parallel path, I was pleased with how quickly Stark picked up to look at the jump. You can quickly see how he was not sure in the beginning and then he was quickly like, Oh! look at the thing and go. Got it!

    Counter Motion, he is doing okay but he is cheating. LOL! It’s hard to catch the cheating but i’m trying. He knows it too! When I don’t reward it he goes back it makes an obvious hit.

    in reply to: Stark & Carol #9848
    Carol
    Participant

    So here we are working on the Send, BC, Decel, Go go.. and a little bit of Sit, Catch. We played the game inside and then out. Toy to food transition was much better this time. I used kibble and his favorite toy that he likes to hump (sigh) I try to prevent it.
    Anyway, it’s hard for puppy to see kibble when throwing it so I’m thinking (if you think itโ€™s okay) to just start him from a sit/stay or have Kevin hold him when I can. His sit/stay is pretty freaking good (thank you crate games).
    I think the heat affected him some. We only stayed out for 10 mins and that was long enough. Throwing the kibble back posed to be an issue b/c he couldn’t find it or he found it later on and lost track of what was going on.
    I noticed that I did not always use my collection hand to deliver the cookie and that I need to start turning my shoulder earlier. Still working out my mechanics here. (poor puppy!!!) I’ll get it together at some point. On one of the first reps outside, he blew right past me. ha! we got a little better after that but he still went wide. I think that is due to some of my body positioning. He had some questioning about the catch cue outside, but I’m not so worried about that at this point in time.

    in reply to: Stark & Carol #9834
    Carol
    Participant

    It was right after breakfast so his belly should have been full. LOL!

    I think he prefers food to toys but likes his toys too. I would say its a 70/30 or 60/40 split so, not so bad.

    He does have one super toy and Iโ€™ll use that next time. Good thinking. Iโ€™ll also video and show post the session.

    He is going to rest for a little while and Iโ€™ll try again later on today. He got his rabies shot this morning. The vet said he weighed 13.8. ๐Ÿ˜ณ I think my scale is a pound off from theirs.

    in reply to: Stark & Carol #9826
    Carol
    Participant

    I did a little bit of the collection game this morning and Stark is having a hard time transitioning from food to toy. He doesnโ€™t want to go get the toy when I throw it b/c he just got food from my hand for collection part.

    Maybe I will just play the games separately?? Also work on needing by my side then send to toy??

    in reply to: Stark & Carol #9800
    Carol
    Participant

    Thanks coach! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Great suggestion, I like it.
    Here is what we worked on the past 2 mornings.

    Wing Wraps:

    I had a great wing wrap session with Stark this morning and thought I hit record. Naturally, I didn’t and I hit the photo button. ugh! So, we did a shorted session and only with the laundry basket, I didn’t put back in the smaller prop for the second session. I think he does better with food than toys with this game for now.

    Prop Game:

    Rear Crosses – I know I did a couple of pull and flicks (not on purpose) I think I will need to work on this in a different location next time.

    in reply to: Stark & Carol #9737
    Carol
    Participant

    With being out of town, I am so far behind in class, I don’t know where to begin. Feeling overwhelmed, Gah!

    VACA is over. It’s time to get off my rear and train the puppy on something.

    in reply to: Stark & Carol #9263
    Carol
    Participant

    Throwing the cheese! – https://youtu.be/bPwgH-msZ1c
    This video is painfull to watch for me. LOL! All the crosses were late and there was not enough room for me to run. I ended this sesson very quickly and regrouped. But about the treat throwing, you can see how I had to work at getting his attention on some of the reps.

    Go! Get It! – https://youtu.be/XcEdA9RF0VI
    I forgot to post this one!

    in reply to: Stark & Carol #9259
    Carol
    Participant

    About the cookie toss, what was going wrong with it? I like to use them mainly as cookie to toy to cookie developer, and as a self-control thing, so let me know what was wonky and we will fix it ๐Ÿ™‚ was he ignoring the treats? Or spending too much time searching?

    We were outside so, there was that (I think he does better with a cookie toss inside). When I tossed the cookie he would go get it (I used big hunks of cheese so he could see it) and then sniff around to see if there was anymore. He would then run to me but not with as much enthusiam as I know he has. I have some on video and will share.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 316 total)