Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 344 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Jen and Muso #83263
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    Package 2 – Discriminations

    in reply to: Jen and Muso #83210
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    Done. Sorry.

    in reply to: Jen and Muso #83144
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    Video editing took way too long, but here is the rest of package 1, the teeter problem when I am behind or too far laterally, and the remedial work we started from MaxPup on the serp problem:
    Serp Drills
    https://youtu.be/RnTFGXFjmrE

    Pkg 1 – Agility Course 2 – Part 1
    https://youtu.be/qwEp5VaLmNk

    Pkg 1 – Agility Course 2 – Part 2
    https://youtu.be/xzOWHEmskdQ

    Close-Up Teeter Problem
    https://youtu.be/D-s4qr2YAGI

    in reply to: Jen and Muso #83095
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    More video coming soon, but the teeter issue is that she’s not going to the end anymore. She’s flying off (usually the first run) or stopping early, like before the yellow or just inside.

    in reply to: Jen and Muso #83024
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    Tracy,

    I REALLY appreciate your feedback on these courses. Thank you for taking the time to analyze them and give me the overview.

    Masters Series Agility
    There was an error at the beginning of MS Agility where she turned to her right after the frame in the opening, then considered wrapping the jump again (another reason I never cue multi-wraps on course LOL!) and then continued to a line elsewhere. I couldn’t see the handling on the video, so I am not sure why it happened – do you remember what your plan was there and what happened?

    She wrapped the jump after the A-frame correctly, then I stepped in to push her to the jump so I could take off up the line to get the backside after the broad jump. She took the step in and literally ran with it to the far tunnel. I was worried that if I let her wrap the far wing after the frame, she wouldn’t turn tightly enough and I’d have to hang back to correct and be late for the backside after the broad. I neglected to walk the dog’s line and didn’t see that the tunnel pointed to the jump and far tunnel, however, she usually curls towards me out of tunnels, so I didn’t give a turn cue at all and she just went! On a later course, when I thought I’d supported a line out of the tunnel, she did curl in and missed the jump (didn’t get a video of Snooker), and when I supported the same exact line again on Senior Speedstakes (with even more enthusiasm), she missed it again. I am having a hard time knowing when she will curl in and when she will stay out on the line. We seem to have a handle on AAC, but UKI is kicking our butts. I’m not used to these big lines and I am really struggling to know when to cue a turn, just use her name, or show her big line support and trust that she will read it. I definitely thought I had supported the line in the Senior Speedstakes, but also didn’t want to launch her into the next off-course tunnel by overrunning it.

    For the gamble, I slowed the video down to see what happened, and she skipped the whole down-ramp and only hit the contact, so I think that she couldn’t have turned if she wanted to. The Frame and Teeter are both problems when they are in the first run, as she is usually high and doesn’t break enough and goes flying.

    Sweepstakes 2 – She went on a big line after a tunnel at :25. There was a lot of GO info but no turn info before she went into the tunnel there… so she took a guess of the big line based on your forward motion.

    Yes, in my walk-through, I hadn’t considered that tunnel an off course at all, so I just trusted that she would curl towards me, as usual, and off we go. Every time we went off-course on all of these runs, I was surprised, and then I was thinking “Damn, I don’t know if I could do that again, on purpose!”

    So now my big question is: how do I get even more independence on weaves (and the teeter) without adding pressure to these obstacles. She tends to bail on the last 2-4 poles if I’m moving laterally, but sometimes she doesn’t. I have a hang-up about making her weave 12 poles over and over just to reward the exit, but I don’t know if 6 poles gives her enough time to think about bailing.

    I did a seminar with Alen Marekovich and he warned not to add weave guides or pre-position the toy because then it only LOOKS like they have the skill, but then don’t have it if the support isn’t there. So now I’m feeling very conflicted about how to fix these training holes.

    Thanks for your thoughts. She’s such a good girl.

    in reply to: Jen and Muso #82964
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    Our weekend: we did two days of UKI, and she totally gets the big lines, but unfortunately, they’re not always the lines I need her to take!
    Maps: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1vQ8VRay3w7FMjSAwD_ucjlnd91JnxJ-RhTcZTYOi6SY/edit?usp=drivesdk
    Gamble Novice

    Masters Series Agility

    Speedstakes Novice 1

    Speedstakes Novice 2

    Speedstakes Senior 3

    Jumping Novice

    Masters Series Jumping

    Speedstakes Final

    in reply to: Jen and Muso #82751
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    It’s SO much cooler today. Here is jumping Course 2, both tries. These were my first attempts at the Course. Still problems with slicing towards me.

    Try 1

    Try 2

    in reply to: Jen and Muso #82741
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    We did it! Got out early, early. I was focused on carrying on in the first one. We clearly need some distance weave work. Part 2 was our second try…and I actually watched the first video before we tried again! #goals
    She’s still bailing when she jumps towards me, so I would love some coaching on how to convince her of her job. I also realize I should have rewarded her for doing it the second time.

    Jumping Course 1 part 1

    Jumping Course 1 part 2

    in reply to: Jen and Muso #82702
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    I really want to practice… but it’s 45°C with the humidity and there’s no way. We’ll hopefully catch up after the weekend.

    in reply to: Jen and Muso #82669
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    4 Corners: Sequence 1-5

    4 Corners: Sequence 6

    in reply to: Jen and Muso #82620
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    Ok, I think I got the physical aspects. Forgot the “good girl” bit. This behaviour has definitely morphed into a “I hope it works” set of movements rather than the original intention. I didn’t realize how far it had degraded. I know I stopped saying “Mark” after I led out because she was breaking if I moved or spoke. Glad we caught it now! You can just watch the first bit; it was good at the end and it’s over 2 min, sorry.

    in reply to: Jen and Muso #82593
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    Jumping Away – Round 1
    A little confused to start. We’ve practiced this before: her cue is “Mark”. She struggles with any delay on the release and self-releases.

    in reply to: Jen & Muso #65911
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    It is clear that anaylsis is not my forte! I never even considered timing it between the obstacles rather than just the sum total sequence. I would love to see a side-by side video comparison or one of those overlays like some people do for the big events!! However, I am unwilling to pay for that software 😉

    I’ve never had a dog that ran at a consistent speed, so timing handling choices has never been on my radar. Thank you for your thorough analysis.

    Moving forward, do I now adopt a new ‘rule’ about longer distances but straighter lines as our preferred handling, or are we missing too much data to make that generalization at this point? For the front cross on 7, what should I have done to straighten that line out more? I thought the concept was that further ahead was always better, but for the backside wrap from the dogwalk to 4, you had said to hang back more because I was pushing her off the line by being ahead. I wouldn’t hve tried for a blind cross to 4 since the turn away to 4 didn’t strike me as the clearest line for the dog, even if it put me further ahead. This is a whole new world for me.

    Additionally, she is starting to miss her weave entry and just working her way over and under the weave guides so that she doesn’t have to slow down – LOL. I am reading that as a baby dog ‘need for speed’ move rather than a catastrophic training hole. What are your thoughts? Her chiro adjustments have always been minimal, so I’m not really concerned about an injury.

    in reply to: Jen & Muso #65902
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    Here is the Standard 5-2, obstacle 4-11 sequence with 3 different handling options:

    in reply to: Jen & Muso #65782
    Jennifer Cresswell
    Participant

    I’m pretty pleased with this one, but I think I fixed a few timing things in the second video. Let me know what you think! I’ve also been working on being more consistent with my physical cues.

    2nd go (weird weave error), but better handling overall, I think.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 344 total)